DAC diminishing returns

Looking for some experienced input on the diminishing return as you go up the the DAC ladder. I mostly stream music and occasionally listen to CDs.  Currently, I’m using a Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC.  It’s connected to my Naim Nait 5Si and that drives Zu Omen ii speakers. In my limited experience, I have not heard any substantial differences when changing DACs.  I’m considering a Denafrips Pontus DAC.  Does the significantly higher cost justify what might be a marginal increase in sound quality?  Is buying a more expensive DAC for better sound just splitting hairs, and making you feel better about your system?  Are different DACs just different coloration of the sound?

I don’t want to be duped into buying something I don’t really need. Thanks.

dsfreeh

Showing 1 response by avanti1960

@dsfreeh 

DAC chips definitely have reached the stat of diminishing returns.  However when you buy a DAC (or CD / digital player) you buy much more than the chipset.  You buy an analog amplification section that converts the digital output into a useable analog signal. 

It is the parts and circuitry within the analog amplification section that makes a DAC / digital player sound superior.  

Look "under the hood".  You want to see big r-core or toroid transformers and a good set of storage and filtering capacitors.  

What this gives you in a DAC or player is a more robust, clean dynamic exciting sound.  

It is the difference between a dull anemic sound that just sits there in basic DACs and players that is not a diminishing return.  Listen for a muscular sound that is more like live music.  .