DAC as an attenuator?

I see a DAC such as Cambridge audio DAC magic plus has a volume control when used in 'preamp mode'. Does anybody know if the volume control in preamp mode can be used to vary the output level into an integrated amp/preamp or does it have to be used with a power amp only? I am looking for a way to vary the signal from CD going into my integrated amplifier.
big_katydid

Showing 3 responses by zd542

You can do it but it defeats the purpose of using the built in volume control.
"09-01-14: Big_katydid
Zd542. The idea would be to use the DAC to attenuate CD signal into the preamp input so as not to relatively overdrive it, quite common with low sensitivity input line inputs."

Unless you have a very odd preamp, you shouldn't have any problems over driving it. Even though the DAC has a volume control, you treat it the same as any other line level source. It will say in the manual what settings are best when going from the dac to a preamp.
Johsti,

I have digital volume controls on my CD players and I can't hear any difference is SQ at low volume settings either. But if you are worried about over driving a preamp, you may have some global gain settings somewhere on your DAC or CD player. Mine do, but to access them I have to open them up and set some dip switches they give you. Its a very useful feature but quite often people that have these players don't know about it.