DAC Accustics Art - Ayon CD5S - AMR DAP 777

I am upgrading my digital front end and need some feedback from you guys. I am considering Accustics Art, Ayon CD5S or Skylla, AMR DAP 777, Bel Canto 3.5

I know AMR and Bel Canto are not the same price range, but they are good. I don't like more analytical character DAC, I am using Conrad LS26, Cary 805.
Any feedback is appreciated.
gunsur

Showing 8 responses by audiofun

I own the AMR DP777 and I have been burning in an Ayon CD5s since last Friday eve (6/1/12). My initial thoughts concerning the Ayon is that it is a very musically satisfying device. I really like it quite a lot. The preamplifier section is quite special and I think one would need to spend in excess of $10K to really begin to compete with it. The build quality is exquisite as well. Now if you spin discs, have a music server and need an excellent preamp this is the unit for you. This is not the type of sound you would get from gear such as the Weiss Minerva, the Ayon sounds fluid and dynamic at the same time. It does NOT dance on the razors edge of detail.., but it will cause one to forget the equipment and simply enjoy the ride. Is it worth $11.5k? IMHO..., YES!!! you gain real-estate by not having so many boxes and you save money on power cords and interconnect (not to mention how terribly difficult it is to find a good preamp). As one who has had the Allnic 3000L (that is the renamed Allnic with the MKII transformers if memory serves) I can say WITHOUT RESERVATION that the pre section in the Ayon handily dispatches that USD $11K standalone preamplifier. The USB input is also very very very good, I would not buy an outboard usb adapter. I have owned the M2Tech hiface/EVO, KingRex UC192w/outboard PS and the King of them ALL the Sonic Weld Diverter HR, so I know of what I am writing. The Sonic Weld was better than all of them with the KingRex coming in second place. I would rank the built in usb on the Ayon at the level of the KingRex with the ver 6 firmware and the optional outboard linear power supply.

Strictly as a CD player I found the Ayon again to be supremely musical..., again not the last word in detail but extremely effective at conveying the musical gestalt. It is a superior piece of audio gear. I my former Dynavox Dynastaion 2 was more musical; but even then the two are like kissing cousins so-to-speak or rather so-to-write :)

As you may have gleaned by now I really like the unit and consider it one of the best digital pieces I have been privy to spend time with.

Considering the Concert Fidelity dac, as much as I love their absolute world class line stage (which is better than the Ayons linestage but is also USD $24K) I was never impressed by the dac. It always came across as thick and opaque sounding to my ears, not harsh or irritating, just not enjoyable. I could see how a person with a leaner sounding system might really enjoy the CF dac..., but I think the Ayon is quite simply 2 classes above that unit.

The AMR is my dac of choice and while I do think the preamplifer section in the Ayon is superior to the buffered attenuator in the AMR, I find that the USB and the dac in the AMR DP777 is superior. The AMR offers a level of intimate detail while staying ever musical that the Ayon can't quite muster up to. Also I found the usb input of the AMR to be actually better than feeding the Sonic Weld Diverter HR and then having that unit send the spdif signal.

Comparing the AMR and Ayon using my Music First Audio Reference TVC as the attenuator I find that the AMR is the superior sounding device.

If you are going to drive your' amps directly and you still spin physical media AND you want a one box solution...the choice is easy.., buy the Ayon CD5s. On the flip side, if you want to beat the internal preamp in the AMR and come out at about USD $10K buy the AMR DP777 and the First Sound Presence Deluxe MKIII and you will have a superior sounding front end BUT no cd transport.

Anyway I hope this helps someone, it is a great sounding CD player and one could not go wrong with the unit. I am currently enjoying the unit sitting atop my Halcyonics Silencer which DOES make it sound all the better.
The mac mini NO DOUBT ABOUT IT! :)... Now here is a tip (a little secret) I found some time ago but did not share it on this site, mainly due to the idiots who want to argue about every little thing. I found a $0.50 usb cable that was EVERY bit as good as my former $3K Locus Design Cynosure (I actually sold the Cynosure) and better than all of the Wireworld usb cable I tested it against (including their $700 usb top of the line cable) head to head and can you believe people actually wanted to argue over $.50 rather than try the thing... Anyways I digress so here goes.., Best Buy sells a powered usb hub under their house brand name Dynex (4 port) that when placed between a music server (tried it with the mac mini and my Lenovo Think Pad running JRiver) and dac has astonishing results. I don't know why, but it worked wonders with my m2Tech Evo my Sonic Weld Diverter HR the Kingrex, the AMR DP777 and the Ayon CD5s. I actually will not listen without it. If you use it make sure you do not power it with the wall wart (i.e. it needs no external power and sounds better without it). Why does it sound so good? I HAVE NO IDEA but it works!It is about $30.00 at best buy or about $3.00 on Amazon.
Not quite, the hub has it own USB. I have hub from mini, then 50 cent USB from to hub to dac. As I stated the ONLY USB that could equal the 50 cent usb was the Cynosure.., in fact it was identical to the point that I actually wondered if the Cynosure was really this cable all gussied up for audiophiles..., mind you I have NO evidence of that nor am i making accusations; im just saying they sounded identical.
Gammajo: I listened with stock tubes, but I have heard that the 1980's tubes are quite special in the Ayon... you mentioned one thing that is very very hard for digital to make me do and that is smile; the CD5s had me grinning from ear to ear all the time. It is a special piece!
The cable part# is 139-080 online at parts express. The price is $0.88, you won't be sorry. This is not a joke, this USB in every way was identical in sound to my former Cynosure and better by a good margin than all the others I tried.
Melbguy1: Glad you liked it, you have one sweet sounding player. The CD5s is one of the rare digital pieces that has taken residence in my long term memory (there are not many :)
Aggielaw: The dynex part was beat by the new ifi iUSBPower clean power conditioner for USB. It was no contest. Easily the best $200.00 I have spent on a product for my system.