D'Agostino vs. Ayre

To anyone who has heard the D'Agostino Momentum series amps and the latest Ayre MX-R Twenty, care to compare and contrast the sound?
imgoodwithtools

Showing 7 responses by tomic601

gdnr

no kidding i chat with him most every week
he would say listen to them for sure !!!!!
gdnr

RV said this about the autoformers in my Mac 202...

move on and never look back

he may actually have been more direct
it has been like 7 years....
gdnrbob.....all part of living in the spon cycle...
i hear ya, if my lil mac240 wont run the treos I will build out a set of Ralphs kit amps.....
thoughts ?
i went with the Vandersteen amps....... pretty excited to say the least
5 weeks away.....
contact Randy at Optimal if you want a nice VX-R Twenty in black
and to think i claimed to rarely change gear
goodwithtools

i agree and have wondered myself...
even thought about building a set of the 60 wpc kits to find out...
i think gdnrbob has a pair of atmaspheres driving Vandersteens..maybe he can comment - they might have the carbon tweeter

i do think it is very possible to chase our tails on amps...we have such a plethora of really good amps out there...many mentioned in this thread for sure.

some thoughts but i am biased..but i also dont change gear constantly..

ayre VX-R Twenty driving Vandersteen 7 MK2

are they dark ? no
the amp might not have to be the last word in low end because Vandersteen has a built in LF amp and 11 band EQ.

the carbon / balsa drivers are highly pistonic. Most but not all other drivers have significant out of phase breakup. the transparency of the Ayre gear shines thru IMO. you might want to watch Richards video on Pistonic laser scanning to visually see what drivers do. The driver he is comparing to is a very highly regarded ( by reviewers ) paper cone but on his patented V / scanspeak frame so we are looking at cone effects only

but i think it is good you will have both amps to listen to