Current Universal Players

Hey folks-  Does anyone know if there are any high end universal players being made anymore (i.e. EMM Labs, DCS, Esoteric, etc. etc)?  I know it's no longer in vogue but I would like to be able to play cd's, sacd's, dvd-a's and hdcd's.  I'm sure  that's asking a lot but there it is.  I've seen players that are 15-18 years old but I would like something a little bit newer.  Any thoughts?   Thanks. 

audiophileman

I think your problem is going to be HDCD.. I don't know of any new players that decode this format. I have two players and a DAC that will do HDCD because I collect CDs with this format and I can hear the difference when the HDCD is decoded. You may have to end up with two boxes if HDCD is important to you.

IIRC the Oppo 205 doesn't do HDCD (please correct me if I'm wrong). If you are into high end vintage gear there are some really nice players from the mid 90's through about 2010 that do HDCD. I have found it interesting that the SQ of these decades-old players holds up amazingly well compared to modern high end digital gear.

I’m regards to Oppo output with various sources look at the following item. The GearFab Breakout Box. Sorry for lack of a link, but I’m lame. Regards, Mike. 

There's also the Sony UBP-X700 and what might be the Oppo-killer: Reavon UBR-X110 at $999. If you want to listen to DSD off SACDs, and hi-res PCM off other discs through an external DAC, then you need a GeerFab Audio D.BOB www.geerfabaudio.com, available at the major US dealers. I invented it because I was dissatisfied with the internal DACs of players.

Look for a used Marantz UD7006 or UD5007 Universal player, they pretty much play every format you mentioned, and then some.  I have both in different systems and very happy that I decided to purchase them.before being discontinued.