Curious if anyones using numerous Richard Gray 400

I am curious if there are people using multiple Richard gray 400's due to the paralel choke thats inside them. From what I understand and with experience is that by just plugging them in without nothing plugged into them makes a nice improvement.

I have some blue circle noise hounds and enacoms in my two 400's for even more additional cleaning.

I am curious if anyones gone a little nutty by buying 10+ Richard gray 400's due to each one improving things a bit more.
freemand

Showing 3 responses by electroid

Since its a parallel device you don't need to plug anything into it. Once it is plugged into an outlet anything else that's plugged into that same outlet gets the benefit. I was told by a Gray rep that a 600 has an impedance of 12 ohms and he recommended three which would drop that to 4 ohms. I took my 600 apart and the choke has about 18/20 gauge wire coming out of it and the 3 outlets have pretty basic wire connected to them. I'm building a nice power strip w/Oyaide parts so I can disconnect everything from my 600.

ET
I did put one Oyaide R-1 in the Gray and it helped. However in doing so I saw the fairly cheesy wire used and don't want to plug my big power amps into it anymore. I just ordered another R-1 and the Oyaide MT-BU empty outlet strip(you put your own outlets in it) from vhaudio.com (Chris VenHaus) It should arrive tomorrow and I will build it right away. Afterward I will plug 2 power amps a P-300 and the Gray into the strip. I will report the improvement or lack of it here.

ET

Not so much from the Oyaide Outlet strip. Don't get me wrong, The MT-UB w/2 R-1's inside helped. But not near as much as Al Sekala's (Audio Asylum) parallel filter. It consists of three cap/resistor combos in parallel. The first is a .47 X-rated safety cap (use nothing but X rated safety caps ) going from the AC hotside through a 120 ohm 1/2 resistor to neutral (ground not used) then two more of these with a progressively smaller value cap (.33 then .22) each connected to neutral through their own 120 ohm 1/2 watt resistor. All three of these are in parallel. This made a much bigger improvement and especially in terms of removing HF grunge. In removing the grunge the HF is not reduced. My sytem seems a tiny bit brighter but oh so much more defined and real in the HF as well as much less fatiguing. Mouser has the parts (by Vishay). It's less than $20 for enough to build two of them. I went for the axial style 10% tolerence caps, the best of the safety caps. I also went for Vishay metalized film resistors. Al is now saying a 100 ohm resistor may be a better value, I haven't tried that yet.

ET