Crossover ? Passive Vs. Active

How many use active crossovers. Would it not be better to crossover before amplifing the signal, or am I missing something? Why waste all that energy just to filter it out. Plus why can't they separate the highs, mids, and lows during the recording and then the processor/preamp sends it to the correct driver and do away with a crossover?
kash1

Showing 1 response by tim916

In theory, I think that active speakers make a lot more sense than passive ones if the goal is getting maximum performance out of a speaker from a technical standpoint.

However, when you go active, you lose the ability to play around with amps and tailor the sound to your liking. I guess it depends on your goals. If you like a sweeter or warmer sonud than active designs such as those from ATC, PMC, or Genelec are not going to be your cup of tea. Most active designs are intended to be used in recording and therefore are designed to be as accurate as possible.

I believe that DSP speaker and room correction is and will continue to be a great way to tweak the sound of a system to ones preference.