Crossing over, with Gallo Nucleus reference

Well, I am here where I thought I would be. I have one Nucleus opened up and in a state of non-function. It appears that there some sort of a custom "high pass crossover" that interrupts the tweeter. This was a melted mess, when I opened it. Not much in the way of identifying marks. Anyone have any ideas on how I can salvage this speaker? Tweeter still works. The techs at roundsound.com offer No advise.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
sirsnapalot

Showing 1 response by josegonzalez6469

I had exactly the same problem a couple of years ago. I investigated the matter for a long time before the surgery.

There is a capacitor in the tweeter transformer that measured 5.7 uF, brand is infinicap (first problem - no more of them. Gallo recommended substituting them for Dynamicap - the next product of the same brand). I used a 6.1 uF Auricap and never sounded right - I came back to the Dynamicap. The resistor is a 5 ohm RS type - I doubt that it is damaged.

You will need as well replacement for the rivets. These are a discontinued part in most places, and if you want to order then in the factory the minimum production run is 18.000 units - for several lifes!

I found them in http://www.anixtercomponents.com/
The product (an R-lok expansion rivet) reference number is 0755102. The order quantity is 4500 but they are nice and gave me justç 500 (of which I have spent 24). You will need as well the rivet machine, R-lok ref. no. 8005999

Finally, the black, sticky goo that seals the woofers and the tweeter, and that is used to damp/glue the capacitors to the transformer as well, is a 3M product, Windo-weld, used in the automobile industry. 3M ref. 08610 or 08611 or 08612 (different thicknesses)