Critical Listening Training Document

In 1980, Peter Cuddy, a salesperson at HIFI Haven in New Brunswick NJ, gave me an education in how to listen as an audiophile. He also gave me a one page, manually typed (on a typewriter!) document full of questions to ask myself while listening to music and gear, as well as to remind me of his lessons for years to come.

It's now 22 years later, and I still have it... somewhere. Luckily, I scanned it a few years back. And now I can share it with you.

After you read it, try the techniques on a piece of good classic jazz, which I find easiest. And please post any guidance you would give to newbie audiophiles that is not covered.

Download the pdf by clicking on this link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17725584/Critical%20Listening.

Wherever you are, Peter Cuddy, thanks!

Have fun.
Ag insider logo xs@2xalonski
Thanks for sharing, Alonski, and way to honor Mr. Cuddy's positive influence on your listening.

As a gigging bass player, these are the things that are always on my mind when I listen, either live or at home: Find all of the individual pieces, and assess how they're fitting together.
Cymbop,

I know what you mean. I was a drummer for many years, and always looked first to the bass line for integration. I found that when I was in sync with the bassist, the rest fell into place easily and then no one had to think anymore, as the music played us!

I remember being amazed to find out that in high-end audio, the lowest bass octaves, when reproduced accurately, added so much air around instruments and conveyed so much spatial information (often inaudible) about the recording venue or studio, especially with acoustic performances. Having twin REL subs in my system has made this phenomenon really apparent and very enjoyable!
You're very welcome, Anonymoustao. Here's an update on this document's history and future:

For 22 years, it was in a file with all my old owner's manuals, but I had not found it until recently, when I was looking for the original manual and brochure for my Thiel CS2s, which I put up for sale via an email to music-loving friends in our community.

Surprisingly, a 15 year old son of dear friends of ours responded, and came over for a demo of the speakers a few days ago. He had never seen an LP or turntable up close before and his jaw dropped when the first seconds of analogue, tube-driven music came to life in the room. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. We played LP after LP, until he was saturated with a new sense of what music can sound like. He is quite excited.

I did tell him that the Thiels would not sound quite like this in his house, but that I would come voice his room with him and over time, help him pick out components through Audiogon that would sound great with these wonderful speakers.

He's coming over tomorrow with his Mom to pick them up. She said to me after he got home from the demo, "I hope you know he'll never be the same again... and that sounds expensive!" Yup, right on both counts, my friend.

He doesn't know it yet, but he's getting a copy of this Critical Listening document. Peter Cuddy's legacy will live on in this young man until one day, he passes it on to another wide-eyed kid who is ready to discover the wonders of music through high-end audio.
That is a wonderful story, Alonski. And that is one lucky kid. A 15 year old with Thiels! He is certainly off to an auspicious start. :)