Crisp sounding tubes for Modwright 5400ES

I recently upgraded from a Modwright 9100ES to a Modwright 5400ES. While there were improvements, the richer mid-range and more powerful bottom end of the 5400ES tipped my previously balanced sounding system into one sounding a bit overly polite with a lack if crispness in the top end.
Can anyone advise me on what tubes (output & rectifier) and power cables to chose so as to brighten the top-end.
Grateful for your advise.
solentgreen

Showing 4 responses by knghifi

Solentgreen, I find Mullard GZ32 'overly-sweet' sounding in my MW Transporter. I'm rolling NOS Tung-sol 5u4gb and I think it will work for you.

I know several also find gz34 and EML 5U4G too sweet and highly recommends JJ 5u4gb. I haven't rolled but only $15 so will try soon.

Good luck!
Dminches, You'll probably right.

Dan is investigating installing Bybee rails and Audio Magic pulse gen zx in the Transporter so I will have him lower the voltgage when in the shop. Meanwhile I'll just use the JJ GZ34. After 24 hours of use, the only difference is JJ has a little bit more body than TS which is not bad.
I just rcvd a JJ GZ34/5u4gb and it's fabulous in my MW Transporter. It's only $14.99 plus it's new production so available. It's neutral, clarity, transparent, dynamic, high resolution ...

I also find Mullard GZ34/GZ32 too sweet so been using NOS Tung-Sol 5U4GB but it's getting difficult to find so looking for alternatives. The JJ sounds very similiar to the Tung-Sol and worth a roll.

Like I said earlier, JJ is highly recommended by MW owners that find Mullard gz34 and EML 5U4G too sweet.
Dminches, Too much body, warmth ... I'm using BT CV181-Z and TS 5U4GB in my MW Transporter. There's no right or wrong but just my preference.

2 TS already died so looking for alternatives. I still have 2 more and so far enjoying the JJ GZ34.