Creek CD43 v. Linn Genki v. Cairn Fog v. Cary 308

possible throw in the Theta miles

System:Stan Warren Modded Pio F727 - ASL 1003DT - VMPS 626Rw/FST
Music: Mostly Rock, some jazz and others

I have read about all I can about these players. I was set on the Creek CD43 mkII but the thing is impossible to snatch up used. The only player I have heard is the cary. It was nice but I would like a little more emotion in the highs. Its PRAT seems to come from the bottom end.

What Im looking for is great PRAT, yet still being a detailed player and having some warmth and a emotion in the highs and mids. Looking for a lively player.

What do you guys think of these players, I would like to know more details on the fog. I find very mixed views on the Genki. The Cary is pretty good, but I feel like Im settling a bit. I know Im looking at around a $900 max budget but hopefully I can find what Im looking for. Any advice or input?
greg_p

Showing 3 responses by reubent

Greg,

I have a great recommendation for you! Take a look at the Quad 99 CDP CD player. I've owned the Cary CD-308 and the balanced version (better than the single-ended version) of the Theta Miles and IMHO the Quad is better in every respect.

Some other things you might want to consider are the fact that the Quad has a very good built in remote volume control (so does the Cary 308 and Theta Miles), so you can use the remote to control the volume of your system. Also, the Quad has 6 digital inputs, so you could possibly connect your current Pioneer changer into one of the digital inputs of the Quad and use the Quad's 24bit/192Khz DACs which will probably be an improvement over the Pioneer. Even when using the Pioneer through the Quad's DACs, the remote volume control works, so you would have remote volume control for both units.

The Quad is usually $800-900 used, so it fits your price range. It is also realatively new, so it may have a longer useful life than either the Theta (manufactured since 1998?) or the Cary.

There are some great professional and user reviews available for the Quad. The Absolute Sound had a very good review of it.

Given your price range, I would choose the Quad.

Enjoy,

TIC
Greg,

It is true that I've owned a lot of equipment. I've owned about 10 different CD players or DACs and most of them had built-in volume control because it makes logical and economic sense in a single source system. Heck, with the money most people would save by not having to buy a pre-amp, they could get a much upgraded digital front end.

That said, I'm not really sure I can answer your question. Does the Quad have PRaT? I'm not sure, but I do know that my foot is tappin' away when listening to it and that doesn't happen with my other rig that uses a moderately priced DVD player for spinning CDs.

When I bought the Quad, I also owned the Musical Fidelity CD/Pre-24 and the Resolution Audio Opus 21. IMHO, the Quad killed the MF sonically, but gave away some features (that I didn't need), but it was not quite the equal of the Resolution Audio Opus 21. And it shouldn't be. The RA Opus 21 cost $3500 new. However, of the 3, I kept the Quad. It was easily the best value of the lot and it was really inexpensive used ($850).

What I really like about the Quad is that it is not at all fatiguing on the top end, it has wonderful midrange and the bass is very good. The Quad makes it very easy to follow bass lines that were obscured with some of my other players.

Really, for the used price of the Quad, you could buy it, try it and resell it at little or no loss if it is not your dream player. They typically sell for $800-900 and the cheapest I've ever seen one was $675 for one that was pretty obviously beat up.

Disclaimer: At some time in the future I may be selling my Quad CD player. I'm trying to build a house and my audio addiction is distracting me. However, I would certainly reconsider buying one in the future and I will be recommending the Quad even if I don't still own one in the future.

Enjoy,

TIC
Greg,

I have not heard the Cairn.

I like the idea of a DVD/multi-function player, but the slow loading is kind of a turn off.

Later,

TIC