CP-700 Classe Pre-Amp

I was also looking at the CP-700 pre or a tubed pre.
Any comments on the CP-700?
Thanks.
Sally
sallycaine

Showing 1 response by raza

I have not heard a CP 700 but I did own a CP 500 before I upgraded to a BAT VK 51SE. Tboooe described the Classe house sound very well - smooth, easy, without digital glare. The BAT VK 51se stands out for different reasons. The BAT has better dynamics/more PRAT and more precise stereo imaging. Tubes also added even more realism to vocals (the Classe is no slouch either on vocals though). So I suppose it all depends on what you are looking for. If you want a more exciting sound the BAT may work very well, if you want to maintain the smooth house sound of Classe, you may be better off sticking with Classe. To my ears BAT is generally brighter sounding than Classe but at the same time more forgiving on the highs with poorly recorded music (tube magic I suppose?). Lastly, the BAT is slightly darker sounding while the Classe is more neutral. You may or may not like this. I would audition both preamps before making a decision. Listening impressions can vary a great deal depending on listening room characteristics and system synergy. Good luck!