Counterpoint SA-5000 v. CAT SL-1

Hello:

Would anyone please inform me on their experiences with the above-titled preamps: The Counterpoint SA-5000 and the CAT SL-1. I currently own a Counterpoint SA-5000 and am not sure whether a move to the CAT would be more of a lateral move or downgrade as opposed to an upgrade. I listen to mostly vinyl and less so CD format. I am using Magnepan speakers and soon to be investing in Wolcott Presence Amps.

I greatly appreciate your engineering and listening perspectives on this issue. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Somu Takkallapelli
somut

Showing 5 responses by s23chang

The only thing I agree with you is the upgrade price from Mike. $$$$$. While you get what you pay for but it is definitely not for everyone.
If you like fast, lively and dynamic then you'll like cat.
If you like musical, sweet and romantic tone then you'll let SA-5000. The Counterpoint is definitely colored but in the good way. What's more important to you? well.. depends on your taste.
Audition it yourself and find out what you like is still the most important step. One blows the other away is extremely subjective. The true test is to have it your way in your setup with the best possible tube. Opinions can only give you the sonic signature which might help you matching rest of your system. I've played, auditioned, tried, built and trashed (took apart) enough equipments that I know enough about my taste and what I hear.
Bigkidz, glad you liked the preamp and tubes.
Markshvarts, FYI, I replaced all caps in SA5000 with oil caps. It is more liquid sounding to my ears. Mike's mod will make things sound more 3-D but you loose some of the sweetness.
Markshvarts, The SA5000 is the exact opposite of what you described. The CATS on the other hand is always brighter. Not sure which SA5000 "special" you got, 10 of 10 SA5000 among ours never have any trace of brightness.
All tube phono doesn't mean it will be less bright. It really depends on how the circuit was designed.
None of us ever had any failure. It might be that your system is too bright and you were looking for something to tone it down. That's a different story. If that's what you are looking then the Arc SP-3, SP-6, Sp-8, Mac C-20 and C-22, Scott LC-21, and MFA Reference might be your ticket. For a neutral system, SA5000 is definitely on the warm side but not dark. Again, if mismatched, it is not the component issue. FYI, I have tested the phono section with my VDH Black Beauty/Graham/VPI combo and it sounded just wonderfully sweet like its line section. On the other hand, the CATS phono I've heard is a lighter tone and slightly noisy. Definitely colored and more seductive than CATS and ARC phono. As said, you should try with whatever interest you.