Counterpoint SA 220,Comments anybody?

I'm looking at this amp used for around $800.00. I will have it upgraded to the premium pkg. that Micheal offers. But after this upgrade I will have about $4000.00 in this old amp that I would never get that kind of money back out of it if I don't like it . I've tried Llano,Pass Labs, BC2's,and none of these were to my liking.So far the best two amps I've heard (tube) is a VAC or (solid state) Bel Canto Evo. I'm hoping that the Sa 220 will have the benefits of both.Your input will be most helpful, Thanks Phile.
philefreak

Showing 1 response by phild

I have an SA100 and I think it's great...as people have mentioned above. The upgrade is easily worth the money, because it is a complete rebuild, using the original chassis and replacing the inside with very high quality parts. I've thought about having it done too, but you're right...it will not hold it's value on resale because it's not advertised, and probably won't be anytime soon. The rebuilds are done by Michael Elliot...ex-Counterpoint President and designer. He claims that the rebuilds are his current design, based on what he's learned over the years, and not subject to the typical audio cost to resale ratio. Listen to an older Counterpoint amp. If you like the sound, you may very well like the rebuild even better. If you don't like the sound, you probably shouldn't invest in a complete rebuild done by the same designer.