Counterpoint SA 220,Comments anybody?

I'm looking at this amp used for around $800.00. I will have it upgraded to the premium pkg. that Micheal offers. But after this upgrade I will have about $4000.00 in this old amp that I would never get that kind of money back out of it if I don't like it . I've tried Llano,Pass Labs, BC2's,and none of these were to my liking.So far the best two amps I've heard (tube) is a VAC or (solid state) Bel Canto Evo. I'm hoping that the Sa 220 will have the benefits of both.Your input will be most helpful, Thanks Phile.
philefreak

Showing 1 response by kkallon

I have an SA-220 that has been idle for sometime - just not working. I checked Mike Ellio's site with a thought of upgrading. But i noticed that Mike is charging $60 per 6DJ8 tube. That is way too high and I assume that the rest of his procing is just as high. Since I am on a tight budget (two kids in college), the SA-220 will just have to sit and wait. It reminds me of an MGB sports car I once owned. When it ran, it was Nirvana. But then it was always in the shop, and such has been my experience with the SA-220.