Counterpoint 5000 -How good in it's day/now

I am somebody who runs contrary to the ultimate goal straaight wire with gain".Want a control center that "controls" and don't remeber if the Counterpoint pre's were hybrids or strictkly tubes ( have heard time and again tubes are ebtter in line stage with increasing voltage but SS get's nod for bass and not rolling off high end).
The Counterpoint certainly have the switchesyet I am told tht Alta Vista (old owners new company) not only replace old dried out caps.,beter coimponents like diodes but in many cases DISCONNECT these features as the thought being they aren't worth the noise.But if I were designing a company now I'd like to have those feature up front especially for those who want to swap cartidges with a multi arm,multi head, or like with my VPI tubes for a different cartridges without ir taking 15-30 minutes.One big strike is Alta Vista charges frightfully high prices for it's work and just not sure how it met the competition back in the day and now if anybody is knowlegable about what they do and how it stcks up."Modern" dosen't automatically mean great especially when I see how many small amp companies tout going back to a particular vintage circut design.Hoping I can get some infoprmed feedback .
Thanks
chazzbo
chazzbo

Showing 1 response by usblues

Dont have any infoprmed feedback,but I have had/have 2 of their preamps and 3 of their amps and the build and design quality is first-rate.Had a 3000 in 1989[new] and just had the new mods done in the last year [2004], and 2001,to both amp and preamp , and have been happy with the purchases and performance every time.3500$ to gut an amp or preamp and replace with premium parts and labor doesnt strike me as frightfully high compared to what I see these days,but you know where thats at.YMMV as usual,Bob