Could use your advice re: tube gear

I posted a long discussion of my MC240 and 8B which came out of storage a couple weeks ago. After listening to them with several speakers in our little local shop, and in comparison to an Anthem 700 MRX SS integrated ($2K) driving the speakers I'm thinking about, I'm missing the highs I thought I was getting. Quite a bit. And on big speakers the bass is loose and very undefined. Both tube amps (with my CJ PV-5) had vastly better midrange though.

What would be a move to keep the mids of my gear but get the defined bass and airy open highs?

Get a SS amp (like the DNA-1)? But would the CJ kill the tight lows and open highs? Could I mod the CJ?

Can I find a (~$1K used) tube amp that has the lush mids but tight lows and open detailed highs? The Quicksilver GLA maybe?

Trying to solve it with speakers, I could probably find a speaker with much tighter bottom (B&W CM-1 maybe) but that would not solve the highs. I have some Superzeros with spiky highs that help but don't replace the missing air and space.

Your thought would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
river251

Showing 2 responses by ths364

Atmasphere is right on target in re: filter caps. It's not even fair to compare these amps to new amps without addressing the caps. (Not to mention that new caps are NOT that expensive). Re-cap them and then compare. If you still don't like them you can put them back in the stream for top dollar, buy a new amp and maybe still pocket a couple thousand bucks.
River251, Atmasphere is exactly right (again!) What I meant was have them re-capped, then give them a listen . If at that point you prefer something else, you can sell them for a pretty good chunk of change and buy the amp you like. By "back in the stream" I simply meant like "catch and release" when fishing-when you've had your fun with them, put 'em back and let someone else have a chance.