Could I be a Retail Wretch?

I started a discussion here this morning to get some feedback on whether an external DAC would make an appreciable improvement over an internal processor’s DAC. During the discussion, I said that I typically visit a local audio dealer, to experience the equipment and then, comparison shop to find the best deal. The particular dealer I was referring to, emails me weekly, sends postcards monthly and catalogs quarterly. It’s always with an invitation to “see and hear the difference”. So I visit, and occasionally buy some small ticket items. But, when it comes to spending thousands on nationally available equipment, I don’t feel any obligation to limit my shopping to that one location.

When I shared my buying habits with the forum, I received responses that said using any brick and mortar stores to demo and then buying elsewhere “cuzz” it’s cheaper is just plain wrong…

I was surprised at that statement. I’m a value oriented person. I enjoy quality items. But I search for them at the best price - is that wrong? If there’s no competitive pricing or added value, why should I feel obligated?

gwbeers
It’s low rent to use this guys time, knowledge and equipment and not even ask him to price match. He values you as a customer and you do not reciprocate. I’m a GC and people ask me for itemized bids just so they can shop their job out and have my numbers as a reference. No class. 
What is wrong with people? It’s pathetic that people think this type of behavior is even slightly legit when years ago you would’ve admitted it was a scumbag move. 
Its great to be able to listen and test drive,  but I will never waste a salesman's time unless I am intent on buying something... Some of my best deals have been local.  I even buy tubes locally.  I want these shops to be there down the road.   

Sorry, I’m another vote for it being "low class" to use a hi-fi shop to demo stuff you plan to buy elsewhere cheaper.

For one thing, I have to admit flat out that cheapskates annoy me.(I don’t mean someone who can’t afford something; I mean someone who can afford something, but is always more motivated to save money over caring about integrity, or even just being realistic about how this affects others).

I’ve never been one to want to haggle over price. Or who ordered what on the restaurant bill.

In my view: a hi-fi store owner has had to pay all sorts of overhead, and money for his inventory, and has had to do (if it’s a good shop) all sorts of work creating a good demo environment. Plus he will often be doing work arranging and setting up various equipment combinations for customers. And...he has done all this because he is trying to earn a living.

I just could not bring myself to go in to a hi fi store, use that person’s store space, inventory and time while planning to buy elsewhere because I can get the item cheaper. I wouldn’t want anyone to do that to me; I try not to do it to other people. I respect they have to make a living and that they have provided me with a service I would not get if left to my own devices. For me, this means being able to actually demo equipment, often in various configurations, sometimes in my own home before buying. (As a long time audiophile, I frankly don’t get much other ’added value’ from a salesman’s ’experience.’ I know enough about what I like and want and don’t need help "putting a system together." Simply being able to demo the equipment I want is enough added value).

When I go to an audio store I make it absolutely clear what my intentions are. If I am just dropping in to browse, say, a new store, that’s what I’ll tell the salesman. Does he want to demo some stuff for me? Sure, I’ll listen. He does so knowingly, hoping I’ll hear something that might inspire me to buy.

If I’m there because I’ve found out that store has an item I’m seriously interested in possibly purchasing, I lay that out. Sometimes I’ll hear the item I came to hear, but there might be something else of interest in the store. Maybe even something out of my price range. If I really want to hear it, I will make sure to be honest with the salesman: "Look, I came here because of X speakers, and those others there are frankly beyond my budget. But if they are currently hooked up, would it be any trouble to hear them?"

The salesman can say "sorry, no." But a wise salesman will allow an honest customer to listen even out of his price range. First, it gains good will. Second, you never know....

For instance, I went to demo some Joseph Audio Pulsar speakers at a local dealer. I really enjoyed them and the dealer mentioned he had the bigger floor standing Perspective model. Once he told me how much they were I told him they were more than I was looking to spend. But, even though he said that, he gave me a demo of the Perspectives. Well, good move, turned out I fell in love with their sound and now HAD to have those. So now, my budget had expanded and he had the possibility of a bigger sale.  He upsold me, and that was fine by me.

I did a few long demos of those speakers to make sure I was willing to spend that much. I was, but I let the salesman know I now needed more time to save up some money for the more expensive speakers.
During the time I was saving, a pair of perspectives in great condition came on the market, second hand, for 1/2 what it was going to cost me buying them new from the dealer. I could easily have snapped those up and never gone back to the dealer. But, sorry, that just isn’t how I want to do business. If I used a dealers time and his inventory extensively and said I’d buy, then I’m holding to that.

So...I’m still saving :)

I suppose depending on the reader’s personality, you’ll either see that as some form of trying to maintain some integrity....or being a "sucker."

Of course none of the above commits me to buying from some salesman just because I’ve entered his place and he’s demoed something for me.I’ve had some crappy salesmen experiences and they "lost any possible sale" for it.

But in general, I wish to reduce the level of b.s. in my dealing with people - from both directions. To that end, I try to be as clear and honest as possible when dealing with hi-end stores - if I’m serious about buying, they will know up front. If I’m browsing, they’ll know up front. If I can afford X but would love to hear Y just to hear Y....they’ll know that up front. Then it’s up to them how they want to proceed.

It’s a tough business. I just can’t begrudge them their earning a living, and if I decide to buy, I’m not going to haggle away their profit margin.I don’t see a lot of rich guys running hi end audio stores.

Post removed