Could I be a Retail Wretch?

I started a discussion here this morning to get some feedback on whether an external DAC would make an appreciable improvement over an internal processor’s DAC. During the discussion, I said that I typically visit a local audio dealer, to experience the equipment and then, comparison shop to find the best deal. The particular dealer I was referring to, emails me weekly, sends postcards monthly and catalogs quarterly. It’s always with an invitation to “see and hear the difference”. So I visit, and occasionally buy some small ticket items. But, when it comes to spending thousands on nationally available equipment, I don’t feel any obligation to limit my shopping to that one location.

When I shared my buying habits with the forum, I received responses that said using any brick and mortar stores to demo and then buying elsewhere “cuzz” it’s cheaper is just plain wrong…

I was surprised at that statement. I’m a value oriented person. I enjoy quality items. But I search for them at the best price - is that wrong? If there’s no competitive pricing or added value, why should I feel obligated?

gwbeers
FYI - June 6, 2018
"Despite the financial challenges, the retailer plans to open six more Guitar Centers and complete two store remodels, including a significant overhaul of its flagship and largest-volume store on Sunset Boulevard to be completed by the fall.

It also plans to add up to 30 Music & Arts stores, smaller outlets that sell and rent band and orchestra equipment. They also provide lessons on strings, horns and other instruments played in schools — some 1.5 million last year alone. The division, with more than 175 locations, has seen a recent return to profit growth, company executives say."

Let’s see if that profit growth will be enough and sustained. They are running on borrowed time and money at this point. Obviously, restructuring plan is betting on expansion. It will be interesting to revisit this topic a year or two from now.

All available at the guaranteed lowest price!
For whatever it is worth, it seems the problem was not the price but interest in general.

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2018/05/10/electric-guitar-sales/
There was a good independent musical instrument store on Santa Monica Blvd. in W. Los Angeles named West L.A. Music, which everyone preferred to the Guitar Center on Sunset in Hollywood. They did a good business, and thrived. But the owner finally couldn't turn down GC's offer, and sold the business to them. GC immediately closed down the store; they just wanted to eliminate the competition, of course. GC tried to do the same with Professional Drum Shop on Vine St. (opened in 1959!), whose clientele includes all the L.A. studio drummers (they make Jim Keltner his calfskin heads) and other professionals. Owners Stan and Jerry Keyawa resisted, thank God. The best drum shop in the world!
Like everyone, I want a good deal.   However I also value personal service.  I"m looking at my rack of equipment and there's only one item I didn't buy new locally .

That item is a Magnum Dynalab MD102 that I bought direct from MD after I sent my MD 90 in for service. They took my unit in trade and I was into the 102 for cheap.   

My amps were used but everything else was new and I paid less than I would have on line.   My last few purchases were with Audio Visual Therapy in NH where theres no state sales tax.  Great guys to deal with .When I bought my speakers they pulled out several amps, including a pair of amps that I owned along with setting up a sub with them.  They spent time, were not pushy , and it was a fair price,  not to mention saving $120 in tax .  But most importantly they spent time with me so they earned my patronage and loyalty.
You write "If there’s no competitive pricing or added value, why should I feel obligated" 

Don't you think being able to audition and talk to a knowledgable rep is added value. 

I enjoy being able to go to my local store so I shop there hoping they don't go out of business because other people are just using them and giving their money to anyone online that hasn't provided any service