Cornwall 4 vs JBL horn under $10,000

Want to try a horn speaker with new Wellsenton R8( upgraded tubes) amp. My first experience with tubes and horns. Have read a lot about Cornwalls 4 and was about to purchase but thought about JBL’s. Want to stay under $10,000 and new or used.Any thoughts or recommendations? 

128x128tooth

There are used JBL 4367s on here for $6500. Never heard them but they measure very good if you care about that kind of thing. I do as I feel good measurements lead to longer enjoyment of things I might have missed during the audition. The driver quality is on another level than Klipsch whether or not that translates to better sound I don’t know as I have only heard the Cornwall IV

there is also a pair of 4349s for sale on here which does not measure as well as the 4367 but also looks interesting.

All things being equal you could use the used JBL and seel them at no loss as they have already depreciated once. Where if you sell new Klipsch you will take a loss.

Tooth

i finally got hearings aids 

I’ve got 60% hearing loss, above 1000 hz and tinnitus 

live with it , is my answer 

I love answering phone thru my hearing aids

i smell things lots better, kinda like a dog

I just went to AXPONA and enjoyed it 

yep, things change and you will adjust 

your soundstaging perception sure will not be the best 

you can still appreciate hifi and I hear things my hifi buddies can’t as well

Transients and leading and trailing edges are really highly developed, now 

Jeff 

Very nice realistic vocals with the JBLs. Guitar is very nice, realistic.

Guitar is there in spades through the Klipsch. Too much presence on the vocals, that’s the two horns used by Klipsch. My 2 cents.

If it were me, try and audition JBLs or Altecs.

I own the 4367s. They are not appropriate for the Wellsenton R8, requiring much more power. I do not know about the Cornwalls. 

+1 Volti.  Possibly not a fair comparison, but I upgraded from Cornwall Series 1, which I loved for over 13 years, to a used pair of full Volti upgraded Klipschorns.  Not even close!

Jeffreyds, why upgrade rather than buy Volti? Is there an advantage of one way over the other?

Unless I had a pair of Khorns sitting around, I'd buy a Volti over a Klipch upgrade if I had the funds!  Assuming that my Volti modified Khorns have a similar sound to the Volti-produced speakers, I prefer them to my Cornwalls.  Just restating that I loved my Cornwall S1s for 13 years, so no issues with them.  I just find that the Volti modified Khorns sound more detailed yet relaxed, with a more natural timbre.

Tablejockey, not sure what you are saying. The Willsenton is $1400 and just rolled with $1700 new tubes! Still have McIntosh tube preamp 2300 and McIntosh 302 ( 300 watts solid state amp.) Just experiencing tubes for first time!

My experience from many years ago was with the Cornwalls and also a set of JBL 4343. I will say that there was such a harshness to the Cornwall mid horn that I just couldn't listen to them more than 5 minutes. The JBL speakers were forward but not even close to that harshness that I still remember. We called them 'Cornballs'. They remained popular over the years and must have improved, otherwise absolutely no one would buy them. FWIW, my set actually had all the drivers mounted to the back of the baffle! The crossover looked homemade. I mounted all the drivers on the front of the baffle but they still sounded raw. I even installed big 'ol variable controls for the mid and highs. The mid was turned less than a quarter of the way on

The JBL speakers were some of my favorites, except in spite of the 15" woofer, they didn't get much bass. I bought them used so that might explain something.

"Still have McIntosh tube preamp 2300 and McIntosh 302 ( 300 watts solid state amp.) Just experiencing tubes for first time!"

In that case, either one won't be a "bad" choice.