Copland DRC205 digital room correction

Hi, has anybody known or used this new "equalizer"?
It seems a really good product, useful and extremely simple to understand, designed build around a Lyngdorf/Dynaton logic process.I've not found many informations about it, could you tell me how does it work really? Is 205 at the level of TACT or is it sloser to a Behringer DEQ2496???
I would like to try it in my listening room (a square plant room...) but in Italy it is very difficult to find and testing.
Thanks in advance for your support, sorry for my english but I've studied another language at school (and now I have to pay private lessons :-((( , I prefer buying CDs)

Massimo
massimobar

Showing 2 responses by lensman

I've owned the DRC 205 now for several months. I do think it is quite an incredible piece of audio tech. It won me over inside the dealer's shop when he switched a Bryston BCD-1 on a Macintosh amp to a pair of 3A speakers. What went from a small, somewhat lifeless soundstage caught between the speakers, to a grand, room filling, slamming soundscape that defied the speakers entirely. And it was still musical! In fact even more so! One of the attributes I find lovely to this piece is it really brings out what the bass response SHOULD be a la anachoic chamber. Really full, vibrant, and fully linear top to bottom frequency. If i were to fault this device I'd have to say it does sometimes quash some of the depth of the soundstaging or maybe a bit of super detailed transients you'd find coming out of a top end expensive player. This is a picky faulting and one that seems to change if I reset the mic placement. I'm sure it's also what my old DAC does vs the newer DAC's in the Copland. But it's not bad for it. Just different. But for it's price point ($3000) it will match up quite fairly and symbiotically to equipment in the same ball park or lower and really make your system shine fantastic. And I've found myself constantly wanting to recallibrate the signal everytime I move or change anything to the point of obssessiveness. And let's face it, in this hobby I don't need anything more to obsess about. Although that can be half the fun! I can say it has done very nicely for just getting more into the music, no if's-ands-or-but's. Purists need not apply as there is always something that can be disected and discredited via numbers, and (I am a victim here too) pure anal overanalysis . Music lovers though "all aboard". Great: yes indeed. Perfect: what is?
I can also say whole-heartedly: put a Virtual Dynamics power cable on it to get some great energy from it and use it on A1 (flat). Using Acoustic Zen Matrix II IC's and they're excellent!