Coping in an Age of Uncertainty

there have been numerous threads here, i know, about sacd v. dvd-a, upsampling, oversampling, etc. a number of these threads have included discussions of which, if any, new digital format will replace what we now call “redbook” cd’s. i don’t wish to rehash these discussions. rather, i’d like to hear from others how they are coping with the “age of uncertainty” in the realm of digital audio. is it better to “roll the dice” and invest in sacd or dvd a? ignore the contenders for the new and get the best possible out of redbook cd’s? buy with upgradeability firmly in mind? follow another path? i don’t post this query out of mere curiosity. i really haven’t figured out what course i should follow. i’d appreciate your giving me a hand. -kelly
cornfedboy
Boy Cornfedboy, I think you've asked the one question that's been pondering in most our minds. I'm like you, not sure what to do. Who wants to dump a lot of money into a format with limited source material, that may be bust in the near future. Not me! To date I've chosen to hang in there & see what's going to happen. The problem is...nothing is likley to happen real soon. Too bad. I wish someone would get off the pot. Of course it all comes down to MONEY.
Money aint for nothin, but your chics are free. That's for sure (Dire Straits)! I say technology is great but, at the same time what a headache.
This whole thing about SACD vs DVD Audio-24/96 is driving me crazy. I was just about to buy the new Sony 9000 SACD/DVD player but thought about it after I had a Martini (shakened not stirred please). Why the hell am I going to buy something that I have absolutely no sacds and a few thousand cds. I have a damm good digital front end now and it's paid for. I walk into all the record stores, Best Buys of the world etc, and ask if they are getting sacds or dvd audio cds and they look at me like I am a whacko trying to cause trouble for the uneducated sales person, SECURITY! I am sitting tight and waiting til the major lable companies make a big investment $$$$ and are committed in a long term. You heard it before, but these formats could turn into the next Dinosaur- Sony Beta, even though the quality was better than the standard VHS format. But if you have money to burn and want to pay $25 a pop from such a limited library, go for it and we'll have our fingers crossed for you if there is a future.
Great thread. I've made the decision to keep my current Sonic Frontiers T3/P3 combo until the whole thing gets sorted out. It's pretty close to perfect at reproducing the info on my 1,000 CDs. However, I've also decided that it is worth jumping into analog NOW. I just bought a decent analog set-up that actually cost more than the digital front end. I figure that there are enough great titles floating around and the format will not be obsolete for at least another 10-15 years. One unexpected thing that I'm learning is that some of the titles that I really want (e.g. MFSL records) are costing me twice as much as any of the new digital formats.