converting from 110 to 220

well, not actually converting...but i know a few online memebers in the states that have run dedicated 220v lines for their gear. I currently have 2 dedicated 20 amp 110v lines. The gear is linn which is said to run far better on a 220 line. I live in a townhouse, ran the 2 lines myself...but what exactly is involved in running 220v lines?
240 volt lines are one leg each from the two 120 volt electrical phases that enter the typical home or business.

In a town home or apartment it's possible to have only one phase available, depending on appliances and what the electrical contractor was told to do.

If your place has both phases, 240 is derived by using one each 120 volt for the hots, plus a ground. You see this configuration frequently with dryers and electric stoves with their heavy angled three pin conductor AC plugs, specifically designed so regular household plugs can't accidentally be plugged in.

If you have a three prong dryer outlet in your town home, measure with a VOM between each hot leg and ground and if you get two different readings, both very close to 120 volts, chances are you have 240 available and would only need to run from the panel to where your stereo equipment is.

At the equipment end I would use a Hubbell twist lock or go to Home Depot and get the electric dryer outlets so you don't later accidentally plug a 120 V piece of equipment into it.

All that being said, does your Linn equipment have a selector or internal jumper that allows consumer or local dealer to change between 120 and 240?

If not, returning your equipment to the factory to convert to 240 volt would (in my opinion) not be worth the hassle and expense involved.
good info Albert... actually i think (need to confirm) linn gear, their newer stuff, senses/switches automatically/internally.
Most homes and newer and decent apartments will have 220V [technically, 120/240V], if they have either an electric dryer, water heater, stove, or individual A/C units. If you live in an apartment, be sure to get the landlord's OK, and be prepared to use HIS electrician, or you could find yourself holding an eviction notice..right quick!
thx landlord as its an actual townhouse, not a condo called a townhouse as many realtors etc refer to. so, to keep it stupid simple, can i simply replace my 2 20 amp breakers with, for example, 1 40 amp breaker, run wire (which gauge wire to use for 220) ideally can just remove old line and refish new line, then install a 220 receptacle. come to think of it...all appliances are are my options out? u do have a 60amp i think circuit for central ac...
I currently have 2 dedicated 20 amp 110v lines.

An electrician can convert one or both of the 120V dedicated branch circuits to a 240V branch circuit/s. The receptacle must be changed out to a 250V receptacle and at the electrical panel the branch circuit wire will be reconnected to a 2 pole 15 or 20 amp breaker.

Just so you know a smart knowledgeable electrician may refuse to install a 240V branch circuit for your audio equipment....... For residential applications NEC does not allow such if memory serves me right.