Convert Me

I have gone back and forth on the re-entry to analog issue. I like convenience, I want to spend my time listening rather than futzing, I'd rather have fewer pieces of gear than more. But, I love great sound and I'm interested in experimenting, and fairly often I see a review of new LP that makes me think, "I'd like to try that."

So, if I were to take the plunge and give it go, I'd like people's recommendations on what to get. Cost is an issue, but not a big issue - let's say $5k budget, I'd rather not spend that much if I didn't need to, I'd spend more if it was essential. My goal would be to get an analog rig that, when I added up all the additional overhead, would make me see the clear benefits over CD.

Listening preferences are Rock/pop with healthy doses of blues and jazz. I don't listen to classical. Current equipment is:

Sony DVD-S7700 as a transport

Lexicon MC-12 preamp

Krell KAV-250a amplifier

Dynaudio Contour 3.0's.

What do you recommend? Is there a path given the variables I describe that has a good chance for me to re-adopt the LP as a medium for my music collection?

Please, no digression into the overall worthiness or sacredness of LP's - there's plenty of threads with everybody's viewpoints on that. This is an avenue I've been going back and forth in my mind for the past couple years, and I'd value anybody's viewpoint on the likelihood of success before I start, as well as the most likely path to success if I start. Thanks, Kirk

kthomas

Showing 1 response by kana813

If you can afford it, the VPI package in Ligi's post is the way to go.

Plenty of great jazz & blues LPs available.

You say that the Sony DVP-7700 is your transport, but don't
mention a D/A. The 7700 is an excellent candidate for MSB's
192K network mod, since it only outputs a 16/48 digital
signal.