convergent jl2 or arc ref 600 for my eidolons?

I actually use eidolons with jl2, with very good results. now I have the possibility to buy a used pair arc ref 600; who has heard this combination with my eidolon's?
thank you very much!
alex
alexismaster

Showing 1 response by jaspar

I've had the same setup as you for the last 12 month now. Eidolons on a JL2 connected to an Audio Aero Capitole CD. Although I'm not happy with the JL2 technically (hums, nearly burned the house, had to be repaired within weeks, ..), I cannot complain sonically.

When designing the system I've also auditioned the ARC 600 (not sure about the REF) at a dealer on some large Thiels in a horribly treated room. Although better than their Gryphon Reference (solid state), I wasn't impressed much. No gain over the JL2.

If you want to spend some funds to improve things, I would recommend (in this order):

- Room treatment. In my opinion every dollar spend here, is worth 10 times more than a dollar spend on overpriced amps.
You can't beat the simple physics.

- Dedicated power line for your stereo. This was an eye opener for me. $80 spend here equalled $5000 spend for amps.

- Audition the Audio Aero Capitole CD. The digital volume control and tube output are doing it for me.

Enjoy the music!