Consonance Cyber 800/845 Valve amps; how good?

In my quest for a new valve power amp l came accross these;

http://www.operaudio.com/Html/Opera-Products-CYBERSERIES.htm

Not much info around on these but their cheaper models are well respected. Look like amazing value for money, wonder if they have the sound to match?

Any owners or listeners on the Gon?

Cheers Mondie
mondie

Showing 4 responses by peter_w

i've just tested the 800s and 845s in my home and was quite stunned at their quality. these amps whilst still not cheap are not at all expensive in hifi terms here in australia.
the aust. importer does not hold stock of the 211 so i can't comment but am certainly interested based on the sound of the other two models.
the 800s are very gutsy and smooth and were in complete control of my 86db efficiency speakers.
the 845s were simply breathtaking in their ability to generate a truly 3 dimensional palpable and quite luscious soundstage. there is a great sense of real instruments being stuck, plucked etc etc. they stay together very well even in complex passages with everything easily intelligible and correct.
for me the push pull 800s rule themselves out due to the relatively small premium for the 845s which seem to be the best compromise of all the triodes unless you need an awful lot of power or are going all out in which case the 300b is the logical choice with all that entails.
the stock power tubes are the basic chinese units and are still very good so the amps should respond very well to better tubes.
i'm obviously buying the 845s. by the way they work brilliantly with passive pre-amps.
bartokfan i was referring to the cyber 800s if you need plenty of power. they seemed to be unflappable to beyond volumes i can bear or enjoy. the 300b is pretty much acknowledged as the finest triode and i have to agree overall even though i prefer the 845 personally. the 300b requires an awful lot of careful matching with other components due to the low power and its behaviour at the frequency extremes and nothing i've found (or could afford!) in the last thirty years has enabled me to be completely happy with this valve in my system. in the end the music is what i care about and the 845 is simply far more speaker tolerant and has weight, authority and control (especially in complex full orchestral passages) whilst still providing a very large chunk of the best of s.e.t. (i.e. 300b). it is a difficult valve to design for however which i assume is why there are not that many worthwhile amplifiers featuring this power tube.
Tbg unfortunately i haven't heard the 211 valve as they aren't exactly thick on the ground in aust. very keen to do so nevertheless. there does seem to be a bit of effort to make really good new 845s (KR, SuperTNT 845M) and it bugs me to cough up large bucks just to re-tube which is why i'm tending toward the 845 as it means i can mess about with more tube-rolling! if you like horns (and have the room) the 300B can work fabulously.
Bartokfan (bit of a fan myself btw) you should really try to get a listen to the cyber 845 (or deHavilland/ Cary amps). i am going to arrange another more extensive audition of the cyber as it does seem a bit too good to be true. it has a very well balanced sound right across the spectrum with no obvious compression. definitely more warm than cold but in no way sickly sweet with excellent detail and upper air. it's all there but it just doesn't shout anything at you or draw attention to particular frequencies. you would never confuse it with a transistor amp. having said that i have separate transistor powered subs so the cybers were not doing a lot of work very low down. i'd love to have the 800s powering the subs and the 845s running the main speakers. now that would be fun
paul
i believe the internal wiring is by van den hul so may not necessarily need to be replaced straight away. its nice to get some kind of confirmation on these amps as like you i can't say i've heard any better. the differences are not subtle and to the point where i am questioning my own objectivity! i've heard a good number of the big american, english and euro name amps some of which had great merit but the cybers portray music in such a natural and quite sensuous way i stop thinking about the electronics. one of maybe two or three truly special components i've heard that have completely changed what i thought was possible (and were within the realms of affordability/sanity!) remember this is still a very young company. they should only get better