Consonance Cyber 800/845 Valve amps; how good?

In my quest for a new valve power amp l came accross these;

http://www.operaudio.com/Html/Opera-Products-CYBERSERIES.htm

Not much info around on these but their cheaper models are well respected. Look like amazing value for money, wonder if they have the sound to match?

Any owners or listeners on the Gon?

Cheers Mondie
mondie

Showing 5 responses by paulfolbrecht

I'm here late, but here's my $.03.

I have a pair of the Cyber 845s and I cannot say I've ever heard better amplification. It probably exists, but I've heard many tube amps up to nearly $10K, PP and SET, a lot of switching amps, and a lot of SS amps. What I haven't heard is SETs really up there in price (>$10K) or pricey class A solid-state amps.

The amps are dead quiet into my Hyperion 938s but more importantly just sound fantastic. Very extended, clear, pure, and transparent, with amazing soundstaging. Closest comparison for me would be the Art Audio Carissa I owned - more expensive, very similar sound, tho I do not think it had the same soundstaging abilities.

As for the parts - I can't speak to all of it but the caps in mine all say Rubycon. I don't think these are quite the best but they're very good, no? Resistors and wire - don't know.

The comment about the trannies is strange to me - they are not small by any means.

BTW I am using the CHEAP Chinese 845Bs and they are damn good.

Paul
Just thought I'd point out that the Enjoy the Music review follow-up mentions that the caps are Rubycons. He's been inside the amps and knows his stuff.

Based on that, and actually the fact that there's no evidence at all that the caps are "fakes", and the sonic qualities of the amps in general, I'd put my money on them actually being the caps they're labeled as.
Thanks for that post, Trelja. Echos what I've heard from many insiders about the audiophiles running these Chinese companies - they're serious and they know their shit.

And what's wrong with 95db? I tend to listen just a bit below that, with peaks at the listening seat hitting 92-93.
Only problem with that is it doesn't take much 100dB+ to start damaging your hearing...
No argument. Nobody knows at what levels sound is damaging and certainly it varies by individual and the nature of the noise. Bad hifi can be very fatiguing well below 90dB as we all know and it *feels* like it's doing damage!!

I've suffered just a little bit of heaing loss from live music and headphone listening in my younger days and so am very careful these days. OSHA says 90dB is safe 8 hours/day (other disagree) and even they say 100dB is Ok at least a couple hours/day (I think). Time of exposure is the other factor.

Happy listening.