Considering switching from Audio Research to PrimaLuna, troube with VS115 amp

Hello everyone, I have question that I hope some of you either can answer or have an opinion on. Ever since I was 17, I have always wanted to own Audio Research equipment. I’m 56 now, and finally was able to fulfill my life long dream. My first acquisition was an ARC LS15 pre-amp bought here used in mint condition. I paired it with a Vincent 331MK hybrid amp also bought here used in mint condition. The resulting sound was impressive. After that, I started looking for an ARC amp I could afford. The resulting search found me an ARC VS115 amp also here in used, awesome condition. This is where my problems and my doubts started. Upon hooking up the amp to my system, a tube in the left channel arced and blew a resistor. I had to take the amp to an ARC dealer and he installed a new resistor and suggested I buy all new tubes from ARC for the amp. I did and when I got back home, I again hooked up the amp and immediately upon turning the amp on, I started to hear thumping sounds coming from my left speaker, then, two left channel output tubes started to glow a very bright orange, and then white smoke started to rise from one of the tube sockets. I immediately turned the amp off. I called the dealer and he suggested I mail the unit back to ARC. I did and I am now waiting to see what they say.

During this time, I started to search out other brands and came across one called PrimaLuna. I have watched their videos and seen them compared to ARC equipment. Their build quality seems to be superior to ARC and the reviews are over the top. I am looking at their Dialogue Premium HP amp and their Dialogue Premium pre-amp. For what they cost, considering how they are built and supposedly sound compared to units costing 3 to 4 times their price, they almost seem too good to be true. Anyway, my bubble has been burst, and in simple terms, I am considering jumping ship and going with another company instead of ARC, despite all those years of drooling and waiting.

My main question is this, is there anyone out there that either owns PrimaLuna or has had experience with the equipment and can give me their opinion on owning and using it. Then, my second question is how does PrimaLuna really compare to other high end equipment such as ARC. Kevin Deal in his videos on PrimaLuna makes a very compelling case for the equipment. In one video, he compares an ARC LS17SE to the PrimaLuna pre-amp.

My last question is in regards to my ARC VS115 amp problems. Anyone have an opinion on what is going on with my amp or a VS115 in general. For those of you who want to know what else is in my system, I am using KEF 104ab speakers, a Cambridge Azur 752BD Blu-ray player as my CD player, Morrow Audio Cables and I am considering getting the Sony HAP-Z1ES music player for my digital files.

I greatly appreciate all who take the time to comment and give their opinions. I will be glad to answer any questions you may ask or provide additional. Thanks for your help. Steve.

128x128skyhawk51

Showing 1 response by dolfan1467

I've got to chime in on this one as I always wanted to get ARC again. Many years ago as a young man (I'm also now 56) I owned a D125 amp and SP9 pre and then an LS1 pre. Still have the LS1 as a back-up. It was the best sound I ever had with ML speakers. However, I always had a problem with the D125 tubes arcing and glowing bright red. Changed tubes, same result. Sent the unit back to ARC for a factory check. Came back, same result. I simply got frustrated and traded it for a D400. Well that was a mistake to me. I love the sound of tubes.

Which brings me to today at 56. And I'll qualify what I'm going to say by letting everyone know I have a mild high frequency hearing loss which is pretty typical at this age. I'm building my retirement system. I had all expectations of going back to what was the best sound I've had ever known which would be ARC and ML but my gosh has the cost of all high end sky rocketed! Not that I can't afford it but ultimately is it worth it? That was a decision I had to make.

I listened to the VSI 75 in 2 separate systems as I was in the market for an integrated. I was devastated when I walked out thinking that was no where near the sound of my D125. Now I know there are a lot of factors there but disappointment was present. So I knew I had to seek another integrated as is soon time for me to downsize not only my music system but also my living quarters.

I checked out the Rogers High Fidelity. Awesome sound but like the VSI75 somewhere around 8-9 grand. What do they say? C'mon Man! So like you, after reading all the glowing reviews on PL, especially the PL HP, I saw it at a dealer and took the plunge. This was a snap decision that I usually don't do. Build quality is incredible. As good as any ARC equipment in my opinion. The tube sockets are definitely better than anything I had in my D125 or even my preamps as those ARC tube sockets were part of the printed circuit board and the board flexed when changing tubes. That may have been a reason for the arcing tubes. A broken electrical path on a board. This may be different in todays ARC production units. But back to the HP, the controls are silky smooth. The remote a solid piece of aluminum. This unit will last me the rest of my life and at half the cost of others. The sound??? Well lets just say it puts a smile on my face with a beautiful midrange, wide soundstage and solid bass. And yes, I'm still breaking it in so I expect more from it. Am I pleased? Yes. Now if I want, I can afford to get some nice solid state equipment like the PS Audio Stellar series and play to my hearts content in retirement.