conrad johnson v. aragon amp

Hello,

Looking for thoughts/inputs on this. I purchased a used Aragon 4004 (200 wpc) amp and need a preamp to get going. I am looking for a good match as I've heard this amp is strong but can be "cool and lean". I am considering a used CJ pv10a (tubed) pre to warm things up. Also from the same buyer is a CJ mf2100 amp (100 wpc) that is available. My question would be-how would the CJ rate vs. the Aragon and would it be better to keep the two cj's together?
kniem

Showing 1 response by noble100

Kniem,
I have the same amp (Aragon 4004 MKII). A local dealer here in Indy, Audio Solutions, was kind enough to loan me a few tubed preamps (a Cary 98 and a VTL 2.5) to see how they sounded in my system. I was using a solid state B&K Ref. 20. They're both very good tube preamps but to my ears the VTL mated best with my amp and speakers and I decided to buy one. In fairness, the Cary may not have been broken in but it also uses different tubes which will convey a different sound. Both preamps added a lot of details I had no idea I was missing, expanded the soundstage laterally and front to back and, best of all, made it seem more real,rounded and involving (especially on acoustic music). Adding a tubed preamp is the largest improvement in my system since I changed speakers. I wasn't able to audition the CJ preamps but, from what I've read, it may work as well as the VTL in giving that sense of warmth and 3 dimensionality. Good luck.