Conrad Johnson Premier 350 ss vs Premier 140 tube

Anyone compare these two amps? I have an MF2500a and I am considering upgrading to one or the other. I am driving Thiel 3.6's and also considering a pair of 7.2's. So I need to look down the road a bit when making this decision; any thoughts? My pre-amp is a CJ Premier 16lsII with an SCD-1 front end and Audioquest Volcano and Anaconda interconnects.

Thanks in advance

Chuck
128x128czbbcl

Showing 2 responses by tom_munro

I have owned the 7.2s driven by a Classe Omega Omicron (excellent combination), and now have the Premier 140 driving VSA VR-4 G3 SEs. I'm sure the 140 would sound very nice with either the 3.6s or 7.2s, although I would have some reservations myself knowing that I listen to a lot of rock and large scale classical at 85+ db. Thiels just love (quality) power. That said I am enjoying my Premier 140 immensely.
Chuck, I've only had the 140 for a month or so. When I auditioned the 140 at the dealer it was driving a pair of B&W N802s which are known to be a power hungry speaker. I thought the 140 drove the N802s quite well. The 140 replaced a pair of JC-1s in my system.

The VR-4s don't have the same scale, transparency, or precise soundstaging that the 7.2s have, but in many respects the VR-4s are less analytical, easier to listen to, and have equal or better dynamic capabilities.