conrad johnson comparison MF200 VS. Premier 4

looking for input between to cj amps ss vs. tube. I am looking for that warm tube sound and large soundstage. I will be using alon II speakers, Jolida cd 100, with B&K Pro 10 MC pre-amp.

which should I purchase.
dvdgreco

Showing 3 responses by phaelon

"warm tube sound and large soundstage"

Hi Dvdgreco, I've never heard the cj Premier 4, but I own a Premier V, which is pretty much the 200 watt mono-block version of the Premier 4. Based on that, the Premier 4 should fit the bill easily.
IMO, $1200 "is" less due to age. conrad johnson still offers full support for this amp, including full refurbishing back to original spec and/or upgrades. It's a well made amplifier and a good tech will be able to keep it going indefinitely. I'm not trying to influence you, just offer you my perspective. Of course, the condition of the amp should have a bearing on its price. If it were me, I would want to know its maintenance history.
I count myself very fortunate in having a friend who is a gifted tech that has worked with some top amp designers. cj's services are not cheap. I would not recommend buying vintage unless either you are tech savvy or you have a good local tech that you trust.