Conrad Johnson 2300A help needed

Hi All,
I am the new owner of the amp referenced above and absolutely love its sound with my recently aquired Thiel 2.4s and Threshold FET 9 preamp. But, as has been reported in comments on it, it has a pronounced mechanical hum from the transformer which is noticable any time the program material is very soft. I'm not talking obnoxiously loud, but definitely noticable enough to be distracting in my otherwise very quiet room. It is soft, but clearly audible 15 feet away if listening for it. I'll be calling C-J Monday to discuss this, but wonder if anyone has had a similar issue which they successfully addressed.
Thanks in Advance!
drjay

Showing 2 responses by lloydelee21

Hi DrJay,

Two comments:

1) Ed at CJ is amazing...he typically answers the phone in Service. I have dealt with him for years on questions and queries, upgrades, voltage conversions, etc...always great.

2) If you physically dampen the chassis, does it lessen at all? I doubt it, but if it does...try an HRS damping plate...incredible damping power. No idea how, but it works.

If its totally internally (almost certainly the case), then a power conditioner can [occassionally] help but i would suspect Ed is your best bet to help.

good luck and pls post updates.