Connecting Fire 4k stick for audio on X4400h

I’m trying to find a way to get audio to pass through my Denon X4400h when the receiver is off. We have it set up so our cable is passed through now, so I’m not sure if there is only one pass through. We’ve settled on plugging the Fire TV stick into our TV’s HDMI, but that means no stereo unless we plug it back into the 4400. This is my first post here, so I’m not sure if this is the correct place to post this. Please let me know if this is incorrect, and I’ll be happy to move it to the correct area. Thank you very much.

John

Edit:  welp. Now I'm pissed.  Anytime I adjust the volume on the tv remote it turns on or off the x4400h.  I'm so lost.
jjmcubed
If this is similar to a marantz unit you basically tell the receiver which input you want to have passively passed through it. In my experience with a marantz 7007 when the receiver is off it will always default to what you selected.  The only sidenote to this (and I have no idea if it will always work) is that when my receiver is off, my TiVo is set as the pass through, however if I hit the HOME button on the firestick it somehow tricks the receiver to switching to that signal even when off. 
The your volume issues it may how you have the HDMI cec controls set up within each device.  In my marantz set if the receiver is off the marantz remote controls the tv volume however when it’s on any remotes volume controls the receiver. Hdmi handshakes sometimes get dropped which require unplugging and plugging back in to get them to act appropriately.