Confused as to where to go next...looking for warmth

I hope this is the right place for this posting.  I don't ever post, but do tons of reading and "window shopping."  I have gotten myself into a little bit of analysis paralysis.  I hope that you guys can help clear up the muddy waters for me!

When listening to music, I am using a Bluesound Node 2i, an upgrade over the Apple TV that I was using.  I was using Tidal for both, and now testing a Roon core installed on an Apple computer.
My processor/receiver is an Arcam FMJ AVR 400, but I use it with an external Liberty Audio B2B-100 power amp (200wpc@4ohms), driving an older pair of Totem Forest speakers.  I also have a Totem Model 1 signature center for watching tv.  

I want to improve the 2 channel sound of the system.  My impression is that the Forests and Liberty are very revealing and clean sounding.  I don't have the audiophile vocabulary, but I will try.  I think the system is lacking something, it sounds dark, maybe on the clinical side.  I want the music to better come alive and add some warmth, without sacrificing detail and punch.  Hopefully that makes sense.

The Schiit Freya+ has my attention and I have been looking at DACs.  The Freya may add the warmth that I am looking for, and I can run it in home theater bypass for watching movies/TV.  My DAC research has confounded me, however...

The option I would probably go with, if I didn't decider to tech out to you guys, is to get the Freya+ and Gungnir DAC.  That seems like a matched system, eliminates the HT processor from 2 channel listening, and I would think would be a massive improvement.

The DAC confusion started when I started looking at all of the different options out there.  Topping D90, Tubadour, MHDT Orchid, etc.  So much that I started to doubt the Freya even...

I hope that provides enough detail for what I am trying to accomplish.  My budget can be described as towards the best bang for the buck..trying not to spend more than $2000 +/-, hopefully less than that.  Open to used.  Thanks in advance for your input! 

Andy
Dallas, TX 

andy727
I pulled the speakers out in front of the console to get them to 5.5' apart..this reveled a much more pronounced soundstage.  I can probably tweak them a bit more, but this was an immediate improvement.  Coupled with going from the Node direct to the B2B was a huge improvement.

I know the Node's DAC is a limitation, so now on to a new DAC, cables, and line stage.  I found a Gungnir at a good price, so I am tempted to grab it.

@millercarbon, Great information and insight.  that is an impressive system!  I got intrigued by the Tekton speakers when everyone was reviewing them not too long ago.  To your point, I have a 2 channel system in my office.  Musical Fidelity M1SDAC and two M1pwr amps as mono blocks powering Totem Model 1's.  I never do this, but watched a movie through an Apple TV running into the 2ch system the other day.  (It usually runs CNBC all day in silence.)  I didn't miss having surround at all. In some ways, this little system sounds better than my big one.  Now that I am addressing the main system, hopefully not for long..

If you haven't done any room treatment, have a look at REW and "see" where your at as far as system response and room interface is concerned...  Speaker placement is pretty important and REW can "show" what speaker movement does for your overall system response...
Andy, another option is a combined DAC-preamp straight into your power amp. Balanced outputs would be nice, too. Could make your budget go further if you get good synergy. Maybe a Mytek Brooklyn or iFi Pro iDSD; the latter offers a tube buffered output and also could conceivably replace the Node as a streamer.
Andy, 

Thank you for your post.  It seems I am on the same journey of exploration.   I have a Harman Kardon AVR 3700 as my “preamp”.  I have a PS Audio S300 amp, bi-wired to JBL Studio 590s. No center channel (my wife enjoys very full sound).  The surrounds are Infinity R152.  Source is Apple TV TIdal.  So we are very similar in our approach. 
I too feel strongly that the DAC in the AVR is letting the side down.  I auditioned a streaming integrated with Hime Theater Bypass, but I could not justify the incremental increase. 
My next stop is the Bluesound. There is a good review of it from yesterday which you no doubt have seen. BTW. The version of Beethoven’s 5th mentioned in that review is sublime.  After all, it is about the music. 

Looking ahead, I likely will try the PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC with the Bluesound as the source.  
Regarding speaker placement, sadly I am able to pull them 5 ft away from the wall and it makes a huge difference.  They sit on 90 year old hard wood planks.

Thanks again for starting this thread as it is very helpful. 
Working from home alone, music has been my salvation. Having most of the world’s music at my finger tips is priceless. 
Keep safe everyone. 
Ifi dsdpro its a tube based dacndo preamp it.is eveything you are craving

Dave and troy
Audiointellet Nj
Ifi dealers