Confessions from a VPI owner of some 30 years

I would like to start with a humble apology to the OP of a thread I recently (overtook) for personal reasons. smrex13, I apologize to you and hope your audio journey going forward is joyous!

To donvito101, I made my remarks personal and for this I apologize.

I checked for remarks from yesterday on the "VPI Prime noise issues" (2 threads, why, I don't know) . I still find it odd that VPI did not remark on smrex13' original thread, only to his last thread that ended, "not VPI's fault".

I've had a couple of issues since purchasing my VPI Classic 3 SE Sig. one year ago. I sent, (through my dealer), an initial question about the arm tower's operation on Feb 2016. I was told it would be forwarded to VPI. As of today, I've not received one comment.

I've recently, in the past 3 months, had a vibration issue through the 3D arm when the SDS is set at 33rpm. It is not noticeable at 45 rpm. I feel it through the finger lift.

I've tried oiling the motor, cleaning the belt & new talcum, the spindle bearing is just like recommended with the proper grease etc...

I relayed all of this through my dealer who asked for pictures and I sent them. This was two weeks ago. As of today, not one word. Because of my last question through my dealer in Feb w/ no response, I'm a little weary.

OK. So, my position is.... I should go through the proper channels. The dealer, right? VPI has their sales set up through a dealer network. This, I assume, is to take a burden off of them so they can be focused on manufacturing?

We/I/ you, pay a premium for this? I assume it's around 100% added to the actual cost of manufacturing. So, if I have an issue, I should follow the way VPI has their dealer network set up and take my concerns to the dealer. If this is not the way things should work, why then, doesn't VPI just sell directly? We/me/the end user could save BIG BUCKS.

That's pretty much the whole issue. I have no idea why VPI does not want to make any effort to settle this issue.

Cheers!

128x128slaw
@cerrot  @autospec  thanks for your uplifting posts, not even sure why I tried to respond and make things right.   

Funny thing is Harry read this and was disappointed in both of you, I talked him out of posting his not so pleasant response, now I wish I didn't.    

Merry Christmas, do whatever you want.  
I'm going to keep this simple: it says loads that Mat responded, much less took (quite a bit of time on a holiday weekend) to explain the realities of small business ownership. Should he have to explain himself? Nope, but integrity was being questioned so "heck yeah" I'd want to defend. The navigation of managing a dealer network and direct service is a very tough one. My angle is: I see effort going into dealer training, web forums, and direct support. Company growth is a tough one to navigate, too. Anyway.... in a couple posts on their FaceBook page, an email to support, I've never had any problems getting a response. A friend who bought a Classic had some noise issues and it took A LONG TIME to get it resolved, but it got resolved. That issue danced around in the purgatory of dealer support and VPI support. But...they were there. Persistence (and patience) prevailed.
in the case of the Seattle dealer, I'm 99% sure the dealers initials are 'DA'.... and that might leave a pretty bad taste in anyone's mouth.
Thanks, Mat!! 
B.
Dealer let the ball Fall on your foot
It's sad. You walk in there good stores now
And all you See is monster, audio quest, &
B&O.  Or sader yet  Now you See the likes of Martin Logan Or Krell at  Best Buy   Type stores
  VPI should of   E. Mailed you after bad
Service with the  Theater speaker selling
Dealer.    VPI is nice stuff hope you get help
All,

After I sent my concerns/dealer emails from the past 10 months or so.... Mat responded quickly.

I just want everyone to know that it seems things will work out, eventually.

I was told by Mat I'd receive a new arm to try.. This may/may not address all of my issues. I asked about my speed issue, no response yet.

The wheels are turning. Sorry to say I had to go to these extremes.

Let's all calm down for now.

Merry Christmas!
My my experiences with VPI customer service has been beyond exemplary.  I find the folks at VPI to be warm and gracious folks.  I purchased a USED two tonearm Classic 4 through Audiogon.  The table was rated 9/10.  When I set up the table, there was A very annoying hum, particularly at 33 rpm, but also present at 45 rpm.  Obviously not a 9/10 condition.  I contacted Harry, he responded quickly with several ideas for me to try.  None of these worked.  

I then delivered the table to VPI, luckily I live a drive able distance saving shipping.  Harry greeted me like a long lost friend!  He insisted that he help me unload the table which he recognized immediately.  Long story short, VPI kept the table for 3 weeks.  They installed a new motor, a new motor mount, replaced the needle tonearm bearings, machined and installed a metal cover for the bottom of the table,thoroughly lubricated and cleaned the table and changed me NOTHING!  Remember, this was a Four year old table purchased used through Audiogon!  By the way, this was Harry Pierson's turntable that had been obviously used very hard.

VpI, great service!!