Concentric drivers

Do concentric drivers have Doppler issues?

hedwigstheme

Is there a confusion between Doppler effects and phase alignment / distortion here?

Doppler effects occur when there's movement between the source of the sound and the listener, as noted with the car horn example.

Phase distortion occurs with multiple drivers having the voice coil/cone intersections not physically aligned, which is what JBLs' L250 addresses with the sloped cabinet faces (and judicious driver 'tweaks' I suspect).  That, with toying with the crossovers design, ought to have minimized phase issues.

The original Ohm speakers were single driver affairs, so no phase problems.  The current Ohm speakers with their tweeters mounted directly over the inverted drivers 'average out' phase issues.  Since the voice coils are at a right angle in relation to each other, one could say they're aligned.....kinda... *G*

Concentric drivers can't have the coils aligned, ever.  Perhaps the tweeters' backside structure is acting upon the wavefront from the woofer behind it, but the physics involved goes off into the deep end of the pool imho.... ;)

Concentric drivers can’t have the coils aligned, ever. Perhaps the tweeters’ backside structure is acting upon the wavefront from the woofer behind it, but the physics involved goes off into the deep end of the pool imho.... ;)

The alnico/pepperpot Tannoys are supposedly configured so that the tweeter and woofer’s acoustic center are at a distance equal to a half wavelength at their crossover point (1.1 kHz). So guess what, they flip the +/- wires to one of these drivers and voila, phase coherence (at the crossover point) lol. I don’t know if the more modern ferrous/tulip models are configured in this manner.

@mulveling  😃 *kazoo fanfare*  And thanks for that byte of info yours unruly was unaware of, but not now... makes it work, despite itself. *L*

Flip phase, and a crossover tweak.  'Pepperpot' backside shaped to act as a default waveguide, audible Magik...(google that...;)...).

That's why I like Walsh drivers.  Simple, just stack vertically and cross proper. *S*  The rest is mechanics and material magic.

...and beats having to move speakers Really Fast to compensate for Doppler fx.

Something for your and all's late Sat./early Sun. :

We always called it intermodulated distortion.  I always thought adding a sub and cutting off the two bottom octaves helped.  I have no measurements to back that up.  Do most single driver speakers usually get set up with a sub.  I would lump the Tannoys in there(concentric driver).  Now, when I hear Tannoy speakers they sound real good!  It would be fun to experiment with them.

So what does "Doppler effect" sound like? Like talking through a moving fan?

Every driver reproduce a range of frequencies. So why don't all driver produce "Doppler effect"?

All drivers change phase throughput their frequency response. Is that the same thing?

It has been said that it is inaudible or does not affect sound in any appreciable way.