Computer PS Upgrade (Fuse/IEC/Teflon Cap)

Today I successfully installed a PCB fuse holder into my computer’s power supply. The stock fuse had leads soldered to the ends that were then soldered directly to the PCB. It took careful work with the Dremel to widen the PCB inlets to accept the fuse holder and now I can roll fuses with ease. I’ll soon order an SR Black fuse to replace the stock fuse rated at 6.3 amps/250V (5 x 20mm).

The power supply used only 1 film cap and it was rated at 1uf that was replaced with an unused Aura-T teflon cap that was sitting idle on a shelf. The power supply will help burn in the cap. Hopefully, the cap improves the sound of my generic computer which is my main source of music. There are too many teflon caps currently burning in since the acquisition of a Conrad Johnson 150SE; therefore, it will be difficult to distinguish what exactly is attributing improvements or detriments to my system but I cannot complaint at this point because my system sounds good. Today’s soundstage is more holographic than yesterday’s. Let’s see what tomorrow brings.

I noticed that the power supply’s IEC inlet is easily replaceable. It will be replaced by an Oyaide Inlet R that is currently in my modified Running Springs Audio Haley. I plan for the Haley to use the Furutech FI-06 NCF IEC or possibly purchase another Oyaide Inlet R for the computer.

Has anyone else tweaked computer electronics and what was your experience?
c_avila1

Showing 3 responses by jim204

Hi Avila yes they are also known as ferrite chokes and should set you on the road to a much better sound from your PC. One thing I found wery strange thoug I now can't get a signal from my mobile in this room now. Must be the RFI suppression I suppose comming off the clamps.
Hi Avila I have a very expensive 1 Kw power supply for my pc and the clamps still make a difference. Do remember a computer is an inherently
noisy device and the fans are contributing to that noise. I have water cooling on my machine but there is still a motor circulating the water. For all they cost I would just leave then in.
I also recently installed a fanless power supply to my PC and have to say it has also been a very good investment. I have also left a link to an E Bay site for a company that makes products for cleaning up noise in the PC.These products provide clean power to the fans , hard drives and PCI slots. Each of these pieces give an amazing drop in noise especially the ones for the fans. They come from China but don't let that deter you as they usethe best of caps in them. Do give them a try . https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elfidelity-4-Pin-FAN-Power-Noise-Filter-for-PC-Isolation-HiFi-Power-Purif...