component problems driving me from the hobby?

I have had a very bad time of it for the last,almost two years,with varying little problems.Alot of new additions,that just continue to plague me with component failure.From amp to line conditioner/table/CD player,tonearm etc.It is almost surreal!

I have been at this for about fourty years,so I know what I'm doing,but this latest round may drive me from the hobby!Btw,I don't feel sorry for myself,but am disgusted!!
I am doing far too much diagnostics/schlepping,and way too little listening pleasure!!I've also spent alot of money lately,on the hobby.

Here's my question,and I really would appreciate some "thoughtful comments".....

My pre was in use playing my CD player and I noticed noise in the volume control when I moved it.This happened awhile ago,so I just blew some air into the contacts and circuitry with an air spray can.It cleared up,awhile ago,and somewhat tonight.

Yet,upon further play I still noticed some noise(like a static/dusty sound,when moving the volume control.I stopped CD play and ran a few click stops to hear it's effect....After five volume click stops(only around 9 or 10 o'clock on volume control,I got a POP sound,and the pre went dead!

I can't check out my analog,because I am awaiting a new arm,which had set up problems.

Thinking I am cursed,as of late,as I have a dedicated room/dedicated lines/superb line regeneration/line conditioners etc.

Any thoughts as to the cause of the pre failure?

Thanks so much...
sirspeedy

Showing 1 response by jb0194

Sirspeedy,

I can only add my hopes that you find a fast, cheap and lasting "fix".

I, too, have a huge investment in my music system. Relaxing to good music is a spiritual/emotional balm the likes of which I've not found elsewhere. I just went through a similar experience to yours waiting months for an expensive custom linestage to be built, only to find myself dealing with an ultimately unsolvable ground loop that even Jensen transformers couldn't cure. I'll lose $1000+ selling the linestage knowing it'll perform beautifully in someone else's home.

I did replace it with another design that now performs just as beautifully in my home. I am determined to dance with the gear I've got till the tires shred and the rims melt.

Think positively - you'll be back in that sweet spot before very long, I'm sure.