Complete system for 10k (Audio+video)

I have to build a complete Home Theater system. I have a maximum of 10k including audio and video. Everything has to be purchased (speakers, DVD player, TV or projector, amplfiers, processor and cables). Please help me to build what you would consider a very good system. You may consider used components. You may also split by percentages the total amount to be spent on every component. (10% on cables, 20% on projector or TV, etc. ) Thanks !
martinpare1

Showing 5 responses by prs123

Thanks. It seems there are a lot of good ideas on the Audiogon threads. No one can hear everything, not even the reviewers/retailers. That's why it is so much fun to get clued into something you might overlook. BTW, I heard some
NEO speakers, very new, very thin very good clarity and balance for HT. Not too reasonable, but not outrageous. Hard to find(only heard them in one A/V boutique.) Anyone else hear these?
A good challenge, indeed. The hardest part, cost-wise is the video. Some ideas:

Mitsubishi Diamond 55" HDTV ready for around $ 4,500 new.
Yamaha DSP-A1 integrated amp used for $ 1300. (110x5, 35 x2)DD,DTS,etc.
Adcom GFA-6000 5 channel amp. (100x3, 60 x2) used for $ 450.
Toshiba SD5109 new on the web for $ 699. Progressive scan.
Phase Tech PC-500 towers w/12" powered subs. $ 1,000 used.
Phase Tech Center Channel. $ 300 used.
Phase Tech Power 10 powered subs(2). $ 500 used.
Phase Tech Power 15 powered sub.(1). $ 400 used.
Phase PC Surrounds for rears. $ 200 used.
Phase Tech DTS for front effects. $ 125 used.
Tributary cables and connects. $ 500 new.

This comes to around $ 10K w/tax. The Adcom's solid performance augments the Yamaha's power amp section, not horrible, but certainly not it's forte. This over-engineering allows you to keep from running out of power or overheating the amps.

Alternatively, I would look at a B&K AVR307 to replace the
Adcom and Yamaha for the same $, used of course. But I like the idea of combining the preamp/signal processing section of an HT integrated or receiver with a power amp. Counterintuitively, you actually get more bang for the buck. Go figure. That is because you can get excellent power amps for not much. (B&K,Outlaw,Adcom, etc.)

The system is able to create great spatial effects on good
DTS or Dolby Digital DVD's. The picture is razor sharp on
film. The ability to reproduce low bass in my less-than- ideal space(26x11x8) is as good as anything I have heard. And on music(remember that other stuff we enjoy?), just the using the main towers in Effects Off mode produces very listenable sound with good recordings. And the Jazz hall DSP effects with the Jazz Masters Series CD's actually sounds warm and magical without much veiling that DSP tends to overlay on most music. Not the most forgiving system, like, say, my Vandy's, but can sound warm and real with good discs. I use the Toshiba for CD's as well as DVD's. If you put on BoyZIIMen's DTS recording of Yesterday, you and anyone else hearing it will have a religious experience.
I have actually heard this system extensively BTW.

As far as deals I have seen recently on Audiogon, someone was selling a JMLAbs HT speaker setup for $ 3100. No one
will imagine you got out for only ten with these in the audio chain.

As a Vandersteen owner for many years, you could not go wrong there either, although I would probably look at some other subs. Lots to pick from out there for under $ 1,000 used, and even new or demo.
My strongest recommendation is to have several powered subs in the system if you are to do justice to good HT soundtracks. You haven't lived until Nicolas Cage turns over the engine on a Cobra and it feels as if the car, not
the image is ten feet away. Or you hear a helicopter in the Bone Collector go OVER your head, and you know there are no speakers on the ceiling. Or your house is depth charged in U-571. Or... you get the idea. Bass isn't all important - unless it's missing. On music some of us don't care as much. On film, you really need it. Good luck!
If this is to be your only music system, you may want to
lean towards refinement over brute strength. In that case,
you may want to suck some $ out of the video and buy a better front end. I probably would rather see you split the front end into at least an amp and processor than just a receiver(B&K suggestion notwithstanding) so that you can affordably upgrade or simply try other gear. As formats are still changing, try to keep an open topology. I think B & K let's you retrofit new formats easily. And faster subs like the Sunfire or Velodyne will blend more seamlessly on music.
Good luck.
Angela, if you mean a 16x9 format, that is the exact Mitsubishi I spec'd(and own). Only the Pioneer Elite, and
some real highe-end Loew's etc. are better, for a lot more $. Just for kicks, I actually put together a system, audio and video, out of current listing s last week for $ 2829!
As with a dancing elephant, the amazing thing is not how well it dances, but that it dances at all.

Wharfedale Diamond 7.2(5 speakers) $ 600
Denon VR3300 105/ch DD DTS 7.1 ch, SHARC processor $ 679
Toshiba SD 5109 DVD HDCD DTS 5.1 progr. scan $ 400
Sony KP-41T25 41" Rear Proj. TV $ 800
Cables and connects(tributary/Kimber) $ 350

No, this is not what I would own, but if I had less than 3K
to spend, it would be hard to do better.