Comparing new Nova300 vs Marantz PM14S3

Hi,
Another question from a newbie:
First, some back ground info to look into,
1) Amplifier - Marantz Pearl Lite
2) Source - SA 8005 & computer direct to spinner with usb cable
3) Speakers - Harbeth shl5 plus
4) Room - 4.2m x 4.35m x 3.4m (LBH)
5) Music genre - basically all, favorite singers/musicians - Kitaro, Allan Taylor, Sara K, Janis Ian, Dionne Warwick, Bob Dylan, Tenesse Ernie Ford, Cusco, Leonard Cohen, BB King, Eric Clapton, Hiroshima, The Tall Band, ..........
6) No dedicated music room, but the living room is well treated.

I'm having problems above 85db without loosing control of the inefficient 86db speakers. Thinking of upgrading the amp and go all computer based system. Saw the news on Peachtree and wondered if the sound is compatible to my current system.
I like a slightly warm sound, reason for using Marantz, but do not like a bloated or bright sound. Heard the PM 14 S3 in the shop (like it), but was thinking is 90watts sufficient (only 20watts more than my current)? (Was using a Accuphase 406, sold it, as it started to give funny sound. It's out of my budget to get the newer models. Loves the control and the free flowing sound.)
Price wise, the Nova300 and the PM14S3 is pretty close, but has 300watts on tap. My only worry is the brightness of digital amplifiers, correct me if I'm wrong.
Has anyone compared or heard the Nova300, and enlighten me on the sound characteristic?
Thank you all and sorry for a lengthy read.

cusco69

Showing 1 response by paraneer

The PM14S1 is only 20 wpc more than a Pearl Lite but that is into 8 ohms. It is 40 wpc more into 4 ohms and this is the number that really counts.

I have a PM15S2 that has the same output specs as the 14 and drive a pair of Dynaudio Focus 260’s that are true 4 ohm speakers with sensitivity of only 87db, most likely a more difficult load than your Harbeths. My listening room is 13 x 18’ and I have no problems with this combo. I don’t think you would either with the PM14S1.  In short, I love this amp.  Being built at the Marantz reference factory in Japan, it's build quality is heirloom.

The class D Nova would not be for me despite its higher output.  Count me one of those that prefers the warmer sound of class A/B.  But suggest you audition to find out for yourself.  And if not to your liking, you know that the PM14S1 can certainly get the job done.