Compare Purif-based amp vs Class A/B (Code No 8/ Halo JC-5/ Pass X-250/ Anthem STR)

Looking for anyone that has actually done some comparative listening to Purifi-based amps vs quality Class A/B ampsunder $10k-ish like Coda No. 8, Halo JC-5, Anthem STR, Pass X250, etc. There is a lot of hype around this new Purifi module. I have speakers (Green Mountain C-3) that are decently efficient (93db, 6-ish ohm load, -3db @ 27Hz) and an easy load for an amp.I know of course that the answer is that it is very dependant on your particular system and preferences. I am just trying to get a general idea if anyone is choosing these Purfi-based amps over good Class A/B amps. Thanks for your input.
tellefsen

Showing 1 response by jaytor

I can't answer yet, but I'm building a DIY amp using the Purifi modules and also have a JC-5. The sound signature of the Purifi is going to depend a lot on the front-end driver. The Purifi module has low input impedance (1.5K to 2.2K depending on frequency) and modest gain, so it needs some form of buffer/driver board to provide an easier load to drive. 

The Purifi module itself is extremely low distortion and noise, so the front-end board will really determine the way the amp sounds. I'm planning to build/buy a few different driver boards (including one with triodes) to experiment and see what works best in my system.