Compaing the ESS AMT ! and the JBL L100 speakers

A long time ago I heard a pair of ESS amt1 speakers and was really impressed. I'm in a position now to upgrade A LITTLE. What is available currently that is sonically better then these speakers for around the $1,500 price point for a pair ( or a LITTLE) more.
128x128jshulerjr48
For me, the ESS will smoke the new JBL's. Haven't compared side by side, but my brother has some original L100's and they sound clear and detailed. I like the ESS because of the dipole tweeters on the big ones, bigger soundstage. Listen to as many speakers as you can, preferably at the same place and time. You don't need to limit yourself to ESS AMT's or JBL's, there are many great speakers. Good luck.
I like the JBL’s (new ones) better than the ESS. The ESS sounded either hollow, or bright & hot depending. Could never get them to sound coherent in my room.
They had great bass but that’s about it. (In my room)
I'll agree with telescope. IMHO the L100 is the best speaker JBL makes. I do not like the ESS tweeter at all. Too bright and etchy. Some might mistake this for detail.  
I own a pair of the new JBL L100 Classics. They were a little disappointing at first and compared to my brothers L100A’s, don’t go as deep in the bass. The treble on the new L100 are much better, not piercing anymore. I had to add a SVS subwoofer and a 4 band Bellari EQ to be happy with the new L100 Classics. It took me a month to dial in the sound, but now I am very happy.

I haven’t heard the ESS at all so can’t comment. You should definitely listen before you buy. I didn’t with the JBL and wish I did as I wouldn’t have bought them. When you factor in the $4K for the speakers, $300 for the stands, $1K for the sub, $150 for the EQ, you are up to $5450. I could have gotten a great used pair of Legacy speakers from AC for a little less but they don’t come with orange grills.😂