Comments / Observation on Dynavector 505 tonearm?

Hi Analog fans/experts:

I am trying to get information for this arm.

I own a VPI JW19MkIV (TNT platter) with an RB300, and have a friend who is selling me his Dynavector 505 arm. I have at hand an additional undrilled armbase for the VPI, currently using a Denon 103r cart/Michael Yee phono preamp.

1.- Can you share with me your experiences with this arm?
2.- Is it a safe choice to install it on my VPI?
3.- What pitfalls should I avoid?

Thanks for your valuable insight.

Fernando
128x128flg2001

Showing 1 response by markshvarts

Hello Fernando, I've used 505 on many tables, including VPI HW-19 Mk III and IV. There are no problems. 505 is limited only by it's weight, so as long as the suspension can handle it, it's fine. It is also less affected by sound of different tables, because it is so heavy. IMHO, RB300 is a clean but dry sounding arm, 505 is a lot "fatter". It is definitely not the last word in resolution, but very musical and robust sounding. In addition, excellent tracker. Prefers mid- to low compliance cartridges, such as Koetsu, Shelter etc, but will work fine with Dynavector's own, Gliders, BPS etc. The good point about that arm is that you can change headshells quickly and readjust it's height in seconds to get correct VTA. I use it on Goldmund Studio with good results. The main downfall of course is luck of lifter, but I'm used to it. More info and a PDF manual are available at Dynavector page. Enjoy.