Comment = BAT VK-D5SE vs. Wadia 861x CD

I own a BAT VK-D5 CD Player and discovered they have a $1,200 upgrade to a newer BAT VK-D5 SE version. A friend of my suggested now is a good time for me to switch from the BAT to the new Wadia 861x due out in the next 30+ days. He feels that Wadia CD players are more musical, open and more natural than the BAT CD Player is (is this true?). While I am happy with the BAT, I am willing to review other alternatives. Wadia has discontinued the Wadia 850 that seems more reasonably priced than the 861 is. Assuming the new 861 is priced at around $7,000 (?), this would be an expensive upgrade for me to take. This means any change to the Wadia 861x would require major sound improvements based on the (huge) increase in price. It is unfortunate Wadia dropped the 850 since, price wise, this might be more reasonable. Any comments on the BAT VK-D5 vs. the Wadia 860x (861x) CD Player? I know that the new 861 is scheduled out shortly so your comments should be based on your experience with the Wadia 860 vs. the BAT VK-D5 (or SE). thanks
hgeifman

Showing 2 responses by jrt

I have played with tubes off and on for more than ten years and the statements about the BAT which I feel need clarifying are:"...More musical", and ..."Organic wholeness". The BAT VK-D5 is a very fine sounding product. It is not however, an accurate reproducer of the signal which it is fed. Tubes impart a specific harmonic richness which cannot be duplicated by any other amplifying device. It is a type of distortion which we are very familiar with and we tend to think that it sounds more organic, natural and sweet. It is not accurate. The Wadia sound is one that I currently live with and I have much respect for. It's abilities to convey exactly what is contained on a recording are excellent. I appreciate the truth in the reproduction and the clarity. it's sound is immediate, focused and dynamic. I also feel that removing the preamp and the associated interconnects gets me closer to the original sound and I have grown to favor this over the "enhanced" flavor from euphonic devices such as a tube linestage. The new 861 will have a retail price of 7950.00 and the 860x retails for 7450. Owners of the 860x can upgrade to the 861 for the 500.00 difference through their local dealer and Wadia. Even used, the 860x is still quite expensive. My advice is to look for an 850 used, or for the same sound without the build quality, find a used 830ix. You should be able to sell the BAT and just about break even on a used 830ix which is an 850 in sheep's clothing. Fewer devices in the signal path results in a cleaner, less distorted view into the sonic landscape...once you re-educate yourself with accurate, dynamic, distortion free reproduction you will never go back. If you feel that it would be too hard to go "cold turkey" with tubes, think about using a Wadia with a tubed stereo amp or monoblocks. This will still provide you that "sweetness" that you are familiar with, but will not compound it's effects by adding a tubed linestage. Possibly the best of both worlds!
Back again. Ebowman is correct that the 831 would be a great choice also. As a dedicated Wadia owner, I try to keep up with developments, and the folks at Wadia are very helpful. The 831 is based on the technology of the 830 and the 850 with improvements due to a trickle down effect from what Wadia learned with their new PowerDAC system. If you look at the comparison matrix , the 830 and 850 are the same with the exception of the transport and the chassis. The 831 will not be available until about mid-June, 2000. If you can wait until then, it will set you back approx. 3000.00. A very real alternative is the 830, which can be found for around 2100-2200. Even though production has ceased, nothing really becomes outdated with the generous upgrade policy Wadia maintains on all of their equipment. One more reason I am so satisfied with their gear.