Colibri Light Weight Gold on RS212D - wow

Just wanted to share.
Mounted Colibri LWG on RS212D today. Still can't find words (one excuse I have - I am not native English speaker:) to express the feelings, extremely full natural sound. I know they say one needs 4-12 grams eff mass arm, but I am using Ortofon LH-8000 headshell which helps in this direction a little bit I guess.
Just wonder if anybody could compare Colibri XGP with the LightWeightGold, what the impressions were (would be interested to know about the setup as well).
Regards
Anatoliy
avs9

Showing 3 responses by geoch

Dear Anatoliy,
The "X" means "extented" body. The first production of Colibries were 2.5-3.5 gr and their output was 0.15-0.22mV
One day VDH himself decided to alter the meaning of the "X" and explained as the way the coils are fixed to the cantilever. It is true that soon after the appearing of the first production of Colibrie(s) named as "The Kolibrie", VDH has decide to elevate the weight at 7.5 gr for wider compatibility and to change the rectangular in favor for the cross former upon which the coils are winded. The rectangular former gives more dynamics but the cross shape offers more nuance as it is more sensitive to the imbalances of the cantilever. About the "Low Weight" Vs "XGP" : Among the 7 samples that have passed in my system, my own favorit is the "Low Weight" with Copper coils 0.15mV followed by the "XPP" with Platinum coils 0.22mV. Both of them have had the cross shaped coil winding. I admit my general preferance for the LW body and Copper coils of the lowest output. I think that everything is possible with VDH and you can order whatever you can ever imagine, but I advise you to avoid the Neodymium magnets, the Wood bodies, the Gold coils and especially the output over 0.36mV. Do not worry about the weight and compliance compatibility of your arm (and the dynamic balance is a very rare & welcome feature). This beast is phenomenal and even a little taste of it's performance abilities is enough to put most other top hi-end competitors in the dust.
Congratulations.
TONEARMS:
*Pluto 9A Prestige Titanium with 1.2m Clearaudio Sixsteam internal wiring & Eihmann Bullet RCA plugs.
*Pluto 7A with 1.2m Pluto Goldwire & Clearaudio (discontinued) MPC RCA plug (TT: Symphonic Line RG6)
*Pluto 5A with 1.2m Sixsteam & WBT Cu RCA (TT: Zarathustra S4)
*Saec WE-308SX (Zonotone Z-Shell 10 headshell) with 1.5m VDH MCS 1000M & WBT Next Gen Ag RCA (TT: Thorens TD 124 II)
*Technics EPA 100mkII with VDH MC Silver IT mkIII & WBT Ag (TT: Lenco L75)
*Reed 3Q with C37 Silver & WBT Ag (TTs: TD 124 II , L75)
*SME IV Clearudio Orange Silver cable (TT: Denon DP80)
*Goldmund T4 Clearudio Orange Silver cable (TT: Goldmund Studio)

PHONOSTAGE:
*"MC One Plus" Current mode Pre-pre with Battery PSU & Telefunken branded - Siemens made CCa (Blue pointed heads) ("Siren Song" RIAA: RCA 12sl7/12sn7/Philco XXB) , (LINE PRE: DHT Hytron OOA monoblock)
*EAR "MC4" SUT ("Voyager" RIAA: half active-half passive with Telefunken ECC803S or Mullard CV492KE) , (LINE PRE: Philco 6J5G or Miniwatt L63 as current source - buffer with 1MOhm pot)

CABLES:
"MC One Plus"/"Siren Song": custom coaxial silver
"Siren Song"/"OOA" or "MC4"/"Voyager": VDH "The Cliff"
LINE/POWER: VDH "The Mountain"
POWER/SPEAKERS: VDH "The Cloud"

POWER AMP is a DHT SET 11.7Watt : RCA 12SL7/6J5GW/TJ 4300B
SPEAKERS are Carfrae LBH with : Lowther PM6A Ticonal/ Seas Exotic T35
Mazda does not worth the high asking price and I've found the TFK very plethoric, homogenizing the bass. All the NOS square or rectangular getter 12AX7 are first class. I have the RCA 7025, that is excellent but bettered by the SYLVANIA 5751 sqare getter of 50's (both 3-MICA black plates). Distantly better is the TESLA E83CC "Frame Grid"!!! (only the yellow printed! NOT the white!) and over the top of them stands the black long plate, angled square getter MULLARD CV492KE. Problem is that these two are really very rare & pricey (over $400/pair). Unfortunatelly I've missed the BRIMAR CV492 and the SIEMENS E83CC triple mica when they were still available.
Beware the -unusually cheap- offerings of SIEMENS (they are fraud RFT!) and don't bother about the fancy EAT ECC88 Diamond (they are ordinary cheap TESLA! with a cooler & gold plated pins).