Coda Class A Amplifiers

I am wondering how Coda class A amplifiers compare with other class A designs from Pass, Gryphon, etc. I am considering their 16.0 flagship class A amplifier. Thank you!
audiobrian
If you send Doug Dale an email at [email protected] he will answer all your questions. He also picks up the phone at CODA.

Tel: 916 383-3653
Email: [email protected]

@audiobrian What preamp (if any) are you considering with the CODA #16. I have the CODA 07x and the Benchmark LA4 and they both are great with the CODA #8. They sound different but I love both. The CODA 07x preamp is also incredible with Benchmark AHB2 amps. My dealer also told me the LA4 preamp was used by a few of his clients with the CODA #8.
I am planning to continue using my VAC Renaissance mkV line/phono preamplifier with the 16.0 or #8. Thank you for recommending I phone Mr Dale.
Though not specific to Coda, the meters found on home audio gear are almost never calibrated, and frequently misinform more often than inform.

What makes the Coda 16.0 that much more expensive and heavier than the #8? I believe I read they both have a 3000 VA transformer.
Thanks!

@audiobrian, the expense is due to the power supply and output transistor complement. The No. 8 has 80,000 microfarads of capacitance and the 16.0 has 280,000. I’m sure there are other changes with respect to rectification, despite them both having a 3kVA toroidal transformer. The output stage in the No. 8 has 20 bipolar junction transistors, whereas the 16.0 has 56. The weight difference is due to a larger (taller and deeper) chassis, accompanied with the massive metal heatsinks on each side that are much beefier than those included with the No. 8.

The meters also add significantly to the 16.0’s costs. You can get it without meters for $2,500 less (MSRP).

Post removed