Coaxial or Optical

I am just getting my new HT system together. It includes an Onkyo 676 (old Adcom seperates for Stereo), Pioneer Elite DV-37, and NHT 2.3A's and matching center and surrounds. Should I use coaxial or optical to connect the DVD to the receiver? Does it make a difference? How much do I need to spend that will make a difference? I am using an 8 year old Sony 32" XBR. For video, I only have S video, can I connect to the receiver first and then to the TV? Does this degrade the signal. I should have it up tomorrow. Any input will be really appreciated.
pablo1
Do not run your video signal through the reciever it degrades it in every way, resolution, clairity etc. You also have to buy a second cable, so it is much better to run it straight to the tv
I doubt this Pioneer has AT&T "out";and even less likly the Onkyo has that feature "in". So we are just talking toslinc Vs coax.You owe it to yourself to try to get one of each and listen. Generally coax is better./But that's not the last word. If you don't have either;just buy a coax, odds are it will be better /NOT a guarantee.
On the s input: try the player direct to the tv.See how the picture looks;then thru the receiver.Me/I prefer direct; into the tv.If you have more than one s vhs source;then you have to go thru the receiver.
I appreciate all the responses and will take your suggestions. Does it pay to spend for the more expensive connects? Thanks again.
There has been some controversy about optical vs. coax. I'll tell you up front that I am no expert. The Company Cable recommends using optical *instead* of coax for the MSB Link DAC D/A. So does Stan Warren (I believe he is the "S" in PS Audio); I spoke with him several weeks ago and he seems very knowledgeable. That at least indicates that the last word hasn't yet been said about which is superior. It is even possible that optical is best for some components while coax is better for others. I'll second Avguygeorge in recommending that you try both. What I can say is that I am currently auditioning the AIWA changer/MSB Link DAC combo using optical to connect them and it sounds quite good. Unfortunately the AIWA does not also have a coax out so I can't compare.
Oh no ... I think you're opening the "thread from hell" asking about how much to spend on interconnects, Pablo. With no intent to sound rude, I really suggest you search out the archives here and read up. At the very least, you'll get a feeling for the multitude of views on this subject, even if you never do quite get an answer. Some of it does make for interesting reading ... at least the first couple hundred times.