Coax vs. Toslink

For what it's worth, Ive discovered that an optical hookup provides better audio sound out of my cable box than does a coaxial connection. I prefer to run the HDMI direct to my TV for both cable and DVD and, while coax works better for CD/DVD, optical provides markedly cleaner, fuller, more detailed sound from Comcast music channels. Don't know why coax works better - don't really need to know - just thought I'd put out the word.
jgb1166

Showing 1 response by upgrade1394

This topic resurfaces every 18 onths or so - below is link to earlier thread.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?fcabl&1019742769&openusid&zzUpgrade1394&4&5#Upgrade1394

IMHO, I have NEVER found coax to sound better than a decent toslink - the toslink has better body, lower noise floor and just overall clean musical sound. In some systems, poorly executed optical outs (especially high-end gear which biases towards selling astronomically priced coax cables) may give a false impression of inferior sound, but all things being the same (i.e. execution and cost of coax and toslink outs), the optical is inherently superior. Please, do not even mention bandwidth...