Cleaning old record collection.. advise please

Hi folks,

Been wanting to get back into listening to my albulms for some time. I have 1200+ that have been in storage for 20 years or so. Most of the record jackets were protected with a plastic sleeve. At one point in time, some were subjected to some mildew and mold. I don't think it really got to the vinal as much as it did to the covers.
The covers were all wiped down and have been stored properly since. The few records that had some mildew on them, can they be salvaged? The bulk of the collection should be fine.
What would you all suggest???
tod914

Showing 3 responses by tod914

Steve, I guess I'll clean a few (good and bad) and see if I can audition them someplace to verify the condition prior to making a commitment to a turntable and phonostage. I wasnt sure what impact mildew had. Didn't find anything when I did search.

Thanks for the reply
Great!!! Thanks for all the replies. Think I will start off by cleaning a few of the good ones and see how they play prior to investing in all the gear (VPI, turntable, phonostage, etc.). I've been reading up on turntables as well. Seems like there are so many choices out there. Im under the impression turntables have their own signature much the same as amps and cables do. I don't want to go for my lungs getting into this. Id like to purchase a turntable, phonostage, and cartridge for under 2k.. closer to 1500 would be ideal.
I'll keep poking around the forum here and try to educate myself more. Playing LPs brings back so many great memories. Real excited about getting back into this. If you all have any turntable suggestions within my budget, I'm all ears. Im running Cremona Auditors with a Manley Stingray and Aural Symphonic cables if that makes any difference in turntable selection. Im looking for something with a rich midrange and would like to tone down the highs abit on the speakers.. Not sure it that helps narrow down my choices or not.

This thread I found quite helpfull as well..

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1142947107&openflup&31&4#31