Cleaning melted plastic from MC275 chrome surface

It's a nightmare on MC275th Street - A brand new demo MC275 was plugged in at a show without the I.I.C. (Idiot's in Charge) having removed the styrofoam tube cover. That's right. They bypassed all warnings on the amp itself and without a thought, cranked the amp on only to smell burning and then see smoke pouring out beneath the tube cover. What we have now is the chrome tube surface scarred with a thin layer of melted black plastic residue. The tubes got waxed with black, but fortunately we were able to crack that off. Is there anything we can do to rehabilitate the chrome without taking off any lettering? Please. This whole thing has made me sick. Kind of reminds me of Mr. Bean defacing poor old Whistler's Mother... but this is worse... Any ideas?
moonshot

Showing 1 response by rodman99999

One of Goo Gone's primary purposes is paint(spills/over spray) removal. The OP mentioned wanting to retain the chassis' lettering. I'm guessing that lettering would be silk-screened(paint/ink). Also; Goo Gone is a pretty mild solvent. Plastics generally take something more aggressive, to dissolve. Personally; I'd soften the styrofoam with a hairdryer and try to peel it off first.